Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Help: Are my Ram Cichlids Male or Female?

Discussion in 'New World Cichlids' started by Róisín, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Róisín

Róisín New Member

Hi there, I have just got 2 Ram Cichlids together and I’m unsure what either of them are, they do look a bit different, so that’s why I’m confused. I’ve looked at pictures to try and figure it out but I think my Rams might be juveniles so it’s pretty hard to tell. Here are the pictures of them.

Attached Files:

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

You have 2 different species. One is a blue ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi), and the other is a Bolivian Butterfly cichlid (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus).

Both fish are really skinny and need more food. Try feeding them 3 times a day and use dry, frozen (but defrosted) and live food.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day or two while feeding them more often. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If they don't gain weight, then try deworming the fish. But post more pics before you do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Róisín

Róisín New Member

Thanks very much, they were sold as 2 rams at a regular pet supermarket, I’ll make sure I buy my future fish at a more educated place. Do you know what gender they are? Thanks again

4. Back in the fold

Back in the fold Fish Addict

You are actually lucky. I don't know where you live but in my town you would never acquire the altispinosus. Enjoy your acquisition. I think they are both too young to sex.

5. Róisín

Róisín New Member

I live in the UK so I guess I am just lucky, thanks for your help.

6. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

The blue ram looks male but the Bolivian butterfly could be anything. They will need to be fed up and when in better condition, they should be easier to sex.