Help aquarium noob vs bba

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Irishlad123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ive had a 29 gallon tank for about 3 months now i started off small and now im addicted.
I added some plants crypt swords val christmas moss and salvinia minima
I started noticing bba forming on crypts i got rid of the worst leaves but it keeps coming back.
Ph 6.8 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5
I have my light on for 7 hours a day
Snails platy corydoras neons and gourami in the tank any advice greatly appriciated

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

A couple of questions. How often do you vacuum your grave? How often do you clean your filter? How often do you do water changes?

Here are some ways to keep bba down....

Known methods to control black brush algae (BBA)

• Maintain golden equilibrium – most important
  • Maintenance Crew – Siamese Algae Eater and black mollies
  • Hydrogen peroxide (H202) standard store bought 3%
  • Seachem Excel (glutaraldehyde)
  • Quarantine fish and dip your plants – Dip the affected plants or decor in the 1:20 bleach solution for about 10-15 mins and then thoroughly rinse in running water.
  • Don’t buy plants from unknown sources or big box stores

Any chance of a picture? If your screen says, “File to large to upload”, then set your cameras resolution to the lowest setting, then take the picture. :)

(Website: http://scapefu.com/black-brush-algae-bba/)

Every second week water change 20% and gravel vac and after 2 moths i switched to a canister filter and ive actually have had the thanks 4 months. With the siamese algae eaters would my tank be big enough because i heard that your ment to have at least 3 of them.

The problem with some of the "cures" above is that they make matters far worse for the fish and the tank. Never but never use any chemical substance for algae if fish are present (Excel is toxic), and never add fish to deal with such problems unless they fit the overall tank in terms of size and requirements (the Siamese Algae Eater gets 6 iches, needs a group, and can be rough).

The only safe and effective way to control problem algae is to deal with the cause and fix it.

The balance between light and nutrients is the issue. Light and nutrients have to be suited and in balance for the needs of the plants. The aim is to control, not eliminate, algae as it is natural in any healthy aquarium. But it must be under control, not spreading on plant leaves.

If you could provide data on your lighting, and if any plant additives (fertilizers) are being used, we may be able to pin this down.

I feed flakes and algae wafers every second day. Its a T8 bulb and its on a timer for 7 hours but i only comes on on the morning and night they have a siesta in the middle of the day

It will only let me send that photo for some reason you can just about see it. Its only starting and its worst on crypts i have a spray bar attachment on.Would the other attachment be better

Attachments

• 20191004_194209.jpg
    20191004_194209.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 151
From your last three posts, there are some issues we can remedy that will help.

First, you must increase your water changes. Frequency should be once a week, no less, and the volume should be at least half the tank, say 50-70%. Assuming the parameters (GH and temp especially) are reasonably the same, there is no detriment to larger water changes, quite the reverse. This is a good way to reduce dissolved organics which feed algae, plus it will significantly improve your fishes' health. Clean into the open areas of the substrate at each, and keep the filter well rinsed to again avoid buildup of organics. It is true that organics feed plants, but here the algae is clearly benefiting and that must be curtailed.

Second issue, the light. With T8 fluorescent you have some good options. Given this is a 29g, I will assume the tube is a 24-inch T8? Which is 20 watts. This will work, with a good tube. I have two 29g tanks and I use the Hagen Life-Glo T8 tube. It is without question one of if not the best single-tube lights you can get in T8.

Also on the light, 7 hours is fine but it needs to be consistent, in one period. This is for the fish more than plants/algae. Fish have a circadian rhythm as do all animals, and it is sensitive to and driven by light. Having two "daylight" periods is stressful. I know this is frequently recommended to control algae, but the fish are more important. The seven hour continuous period can be any time you prefer, obviously best when you are normally home to enjoy the aquarium. Make sure the room is not in total darkness when the tank light comes on and when it goes off; ambient light whether daylight or artificial is crucial to avoid shocking the fish. And make sure there is a continuous period of several hours each 24-hour period of total and complete darkness. No daylight, no room lights. Utter blackness.

I assume you are not using any plant additives/fertilizers. This might or might not help, depending. A photo of the entire tank would help as it will show the extent of the plants and fish.

Thats the tank 6 corys 3 platys 1 honey gourami 5 black neon 3 neons 1 mystery it wont let me send pic

I also put in cucumber that i grow my own and peas now and again

Ohh i put in root tabs about a month ago

These should not affect algae, though some brands might. The Seachem Flourish Tabs are safe and effective but do not encourage algae because they do not dissolve into the upper water column.

Thats the tank 6 corys 3 platys 1 honey gourami 5 black neon 3 neons 1 mystery it wont let me send pic

You may have to downsize the photo. And as you just joined, there may be a delay in some features, not sure. I am no good with technical stuff!

BTW, Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Most reactions

trending

Back