Help! Anubias Barteri

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Diab2005

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to this and added my plants on the weekend and have noticed my anubias leaves are getting holes in with like brown/blackening on the edges. I read it may be algae so tried rubbing but it created a hole. Any ideas? I'm just cycling the tank at the moment.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200930_075031.jpg
    20200930_075031.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 104
I think it's a nutrient deficiency. Are you using a liquid fert? The Anubis gets it's nutrients from the water.

Oh really?? That would make sense as I have used flourish root tabs? Whats a good liquid fert to get mate?

The root tabs will help the amazing sword as it's roots grow (quickly) under the substrate. Because the Anubis is above the substrate it needs to draw nutrients from the water column.

I use Seachem Flourish Comprehensive as if was recommended here. Be sure to get that exact one though.

I do a half dose twice a week instead of one full dose once.

Anubias are garden plants that are grown out of water and regularly lose their terrestrial leaves when put under water.

That tank is looking really good Vike. I might steal that rock with Anubias. I have a rock like that in the backyard..waiting for a good idea. I like the Anacharis too. I miss seeing that. I used to grow it in a pond I no longer have.
The Anubias with the hole...iron and or potassium will help all the new growth..holes won't heal over,but even that leaf should green up more.

I added half a dose on Sunday and another half today. Amazon sword and Anubis still blackening. How long should it take if it is nutrients?

I added half a dose on Sunday and another half today. Amazon sword and Anubis still blackening. How long should it take if it is nutrients?

Not sure but the Anubis will take nutrients from water column so need a liquid fertilizer.

The Sword will take from roots.

Blackening? Are you using Co2? I see you have one of those carpet plants that the vast majority of times will not grow in a non Co2 system. But in the photo it looks fine so far.
I can't remember ever having a Sword plant leaf blacken...maybe curl and disintegrate.
Give the iron a week. By then you should see greener pastures!

I have a bubbler yes mate. Its funny as the plant your referring to is pretty much dead. I knew it was doomed after buying as I researched it and realised it wouldn't work in my tank parameters...cant remember the reason why now. Ive cut the dodgy leaves off now and buried it a little deeper...there were only a couple of long developed roots so I think that may have been an issue

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back