Help.. Air Stone

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

vicstar078

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an established Juwel 400 tank with all ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels fine.

This morning my oscar had pulled my airstone out of the ornament and was cowering in the corner coz he was scared so for the first time in months I turned the airstone off.

I got a call and had to leave work early as ALL my fish were at the top some lieying on the floor lifeless and one dead.. I turned the airstone back on and most of them come back to life but I lost my blue moori who was just started to get his bump :(

I was just wondering if this is normal for them to rely on an airstone!?

Shouldnt the filter be enough for the oxygen in there, I also have real plants.

Thanks

Vicky

Sorry to hear about your fish! That is quite strange. An air stone has little bearing on oxygen content in the tank. Your filter and plants are what gives your tank oxygen. The only thing an air stone does besides look pretty, is help move the surface water which will help with oxygenation somewhat. So unless you had a raging air stone, I cannot see how this would cause the fish to be in dire straits if left off for one day. But if the difference in surface water movement is dramatic from air stone on to air stone off, I would leave it on. By any chance did the temperature change? Are your other fish Oscars too? I know that when Oscars get stressed they will hang around the top of the tank and kind of mope around. I would continue to monitor the ammonia and nitrate levels though just to be sure. Best of luck!

I would agree with the above, that your airstone was doing a lot to disturb the surface to get oxygen in the water. I know many people say airstones do nothing, but I have had the same experience as you, without fish gasping and throw the airstone in and they recover in 30 minutes so it does something. How is your filter(s) situated? Are you getting good surface disturbance from the filter return?

I don't run an airstone now but I have two filters and I make certain that the spray bar and return create a lot of disturbance.

Also check your filter for proper functioning, just in case.

Good luck.

Hi I have similar experience with the airstone - I can't even turn it down - they display they are not well if I do.... and I have to a filtr with flow on the top of the water.... Lucc

Hi,

Thank you all so much for your replies. Yeah it was definately the airstone its quite a big one and they are all fine now. The ill ones have recovered now.

The levels of water are fine and the tank is 400 litres. I have a range of different fish in there (some should not be mixed) but they get on perfectly.

I have just one oscar, cichlids, angels, plecos, clowns, catfish and a puffer not the poisiness one).

My filter pipe doesnt make splashes on the water its under the water. Should I change this? It hardly disturbes the surface at all.

Thanks

Vicky

Hi,

Thank you all so much for your replies. Yeah it was definately the airstone its quite a big one and they are all fine now. The ill ones have recovered now.

The levels of water are fine and the tank is 400 litres. I have a range of different fish in there (some should not be mixed) but they get on perfectly.

I have just one oscar, cichlids, angels, plecos, clowns, catfish and a puffer not the poisiness one).

My filter pipe doesnt make splashes on the water its under the water. Should I change this? It hardly disturbes the surface at all.

Thanks

Vicky

yes make it so it brakes the surface

Hello,

I have an established Juwel 400 tank with all ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels fine.

This morning my oscar had pulled my airstone out of the ornament and was cowering in the corner coz he was scared so for the first time in months I turned the airstone off.

I got a call and had to leave work early as ALL my fish were at the top some lieying on the floor lifeless and one dead.. I turned the airstone back on and most of them come back to life but I lost my blue moori who was just started to get his bump :(

I was just wondering if this is normal for them to rely on an airstone!?

Shouldnt the filter be enough for the oxygen in there, I also have real plants.

Thanks

Vicky

I would ask what filtration you have. but you have a serious problem somewhere. air stones are not "needed" in an aquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Back