HELP! African Dwarf Frog with Swollen Stomach

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

DD250

Reaction score
Need some help!! Iā€™ve had my African Dwarf frog for 2 years now. In the past few weeks Iā€™ve noticed his stomach getting significantly larger. At first I was afraid it was ā€œbloatā€ but his/her arms, legs, and head are not swollen, only the stomach. Almost looks like fluid or air inside the stomach. Poor thing does not look comfortable Although, he/she has been swimming around and still swims to the top of the tank for air every once in a while. Has anyone seen this before and/or have some advice with how to help get her/him better?!
37DD2528-C1AD-4130-A778-0F93B189013F.jpeg
621C2618-BEF5-425F-90A1-FE784D045D34.jpeg

Woah that does not look good. I think that @essjay has some experience with frogs. Any input @Crispii? Do you have a QT tank? Could be worth preparing one depending on what these guys/gals have to say.

It could be dropsy. While you are waiting for a response that would be a good thing to do some research on.
Edit: there could be some useful info in this video.
didn't have time to watch very much, but the guy seems smart. Don't do anything without getting confirmation from someone on this forum.

I looked up a few videos and articles on that but Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s it... that seems to be fluid build up in the lymph nodes and swelling all over. I was also wondering if he/she may have swallowed a pebble or two in the tank while eating :/ Iā€™m conflicted on what to do. I saw someone had ā€œpokedā€ theirs and it deflated but I would NOT do that if I donā€™t know the cause or exactly where to poke :sad:

I looked up a few videos and articles on that but Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s it... that seems to be fluid build up in the lymph nodes and swelling all over. I was also wondering if he/she may have swallowed a pebble or two in the tank while eating :/ Iā€™m conflicted on what to do. I saw someone had ā€œpokedā€ theirs and it deflated but I would NOT do that if I donā€™t know the cause or exactly where to poke :sad:
It's a real sticky situation. To be honest I'm really unexperienced in this area, the best thing to do would be to wait for someone who knows what to do to get on. Best of luck.

Years ago there was a member Jenste who knew a lot about frogs. She's the one who helped my when one of my frogs escaped from the tank. Searching for posts by her pulled up a few threads which may be of some help.

Poor thing - that doesn't look comfortable at all :( His digits seem to be curled on his feet and hands, too. Is this also something that occurred with the bloating? I'm a new frog owner myself, but I would strongly recommend going to an exotic vet, if you have one in your area.

Please keep us posted on your guy!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back