Help/Advice on Pregnant Guppy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Bella2903

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

I am just after some advice. I purchased 10 male guppies a few weeks back and last night I noticed 1 baby swimming in the top of my tank.

I have managed to separate the poor little thing before it got eaten, and Iā€™m just wondering if anyone could tell me how to know when a guppy has finished given birth. Iā€™ve read up on the black spot, unfortunately my guppies are black so I canā€™t really tell if itā€™s enlarged or not.

I did notice that one of them still has a large box shaped belly, so Iā€™ve figured out who mum is. She is still very big so I believe I may have more babies on the way.

Iā€™m guessing I may have also lost a few already as I only ever saw one last night.

Can someone please advice as whatā€™s best to do, as I thought I had only purchased males to avoid this! šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

Iā€™ve ordered a maternity pen, which is arriving later today so is it best to separate mum now too?

Also I feel bad as she is obviously now really outnumbered!

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Iā€™ve ordered a maternity pen,
Do you mean one of those small boxes or nets? Those are not good for the mother as they are so small she gets stressed. The better way is to have a lot of decor in the tank - preferably live plants with lots of small leaves but the fake equivalent is OK - then catch the fry and put them into the box/net.

Do you mean one of those small boxes or nets? Those are not good for the mother as they are so small she gets stressed. The better way is to have a lot of decor in the tank - preferably live plants with lots of small leaves but the fake equivalent is OK - then catch the fry and put them into the box/net.
Yep! In my guppy tank i let the babies roam free because i have so many plants.
this also can provide natural thinning out of the weak one who might imoact your next generatiin

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back