Help a beginner...?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GrouchtheOscar

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to this forum AND fishkeeping. I will simply post my current situation and equipment, and will throw myself on the mercy of the court! I have a 55-gallon tank with an Aqua-Tech 30-60 power filter, under-gravel filter w/ power-head, about an inch and a half of gravel, and no live plants. I am currently running the power head in reverse mode, as I have been told this is preferable to normal flow. I recently read two articles entitled "The under gravel filter controversy" and "Under-gravel controversy Revisited", which basically said these are unnecessary, and possibly counter-productive to biological filtration as long as there is adequate water flow and aeration. Since I'm new to this hobby, I was wondering what some of you sages had to say on the subject. As I mentioned before, I am running a UGF as well as a power filter, so as long as I make the recommended water changes and vacuum the gravel, I should be ok, right? As far as the fish I have three 2-inch bala sharks, a three-inch oscar, a male betta, a three-inch black-fin shark, and a gold mystery snail. They seem to be ok, but what do you think? The water is a little cloudy, and smells a bit musty, though I have been making the water changes about 25% weekly. OK let me have it, and don't pull any punches! :*)

The underground filter is no problem.
I'm not, per se, an expert, but I've been at it for two years.

Have you cycled it yet? This may be the problem with the musty water. If not, then it might be a little more sticky.

About the fish, just so you know...the fish will most definitely outgrow the tank. Oscars grow to 12 feet (needing 50+ gallons), balas grow up to around 8 inches I think. I'm not sure, but I think black finned sharks, if this is what I think it is, can grow larger than a foot. Mystery snail is ok. You defintely will have your hands full with the fish if they grow to their normal sizes. I would suggest buying another tank if that, and only if, that happens. But the others real "sages" might be more knowledgeable.

I'm not that good at this, so don't take everything entirely on me.

Oh, and read my Aquarium Chronicles series why dont' ya for some good ol' laughs and good readin'

naF oiraM

Thanx for the response Mario Fan. I have cycled the water (if by "cycling" you mean it has established a biological filter). It has been up and running for about 3 weeks now, but developed an ich problem which killed all of my fish :( . I treated the tank with super ich plus as directed and started over, just not sure whether it will return or not :/ . As far as the oscar getting 12 feet long, I'm pretty sure you meant inches :D Also tank is 55 gal. so I think I'm ok for a while anyway... Also, I already read your story- good show! Keep up the good work, and thanks for taking the time to help! :)

Yes, inches. Thanks. Anyway, yes, you should be ok for awhile. Save up the money just in case though.

*hides wallet*

no, stay away!

:eek:

(do Yoshis even have wallets?)

An Oscar doesnt really fit into the scene there by the sounds of it. In fact, if it were to reach it's potential size, I would worry about the Fighter being a possible meal.

In keeping with true Cichlid nature, Oscar's are highly aggressive & should best be kept with other large specimens.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back