Help! .25PPM ammonia reading coming out of my tap

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mellowaquatics

Reaction score
how's it going people, just picked up a pair of midnight rams after cycling my tank fully! I'm a bit worried on doing water changes with a .25 reading of ammonia in my tap as I know rams are sensitive fish. Would it be fine in theory to just change the water with my tap? I use prime as a dechlorinator, and I know the detoxifies the ammonia but I just want to be super sure with this beautiful fish! (Attached a photo of the pair below)

Attachments

• tempImage5G7kSV.png
    tempImage5G7kSV.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
A beautiful fish indeed. A couple of things here. First, Prime detoxifies ammonia but this is not permanent; Seachem says it lasts 36 hours, then the "ammonia" becomes toxic again--but this depends. In acidic water (pH below 7) ammonia is largely ammonium which is harmless. In basic water (pH above 7) the bacteria and plants will be able to easily handle the "ammonia" after 24+ hours.

The 0.25 ppm ammonia may be due to the chloramine if this is added to your water (in California it might be). Live plants (which need ammonia/ammonium as their nitrogen source) and nitrifying bacteria will take up toxic ammonia or ammonium, whichever is present.

In other words, there is nothing to worry about.

BTW, welcome to TFF. I've no idea as to your level of knowledge on this fish, but in case you do not know, this fish is a colour form developed from the natural species Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, and this fish (in any variety) must have warmth. A temperature in the 82-86F/28-30C range is mandatory. Not all tropical fish can manage this high a temperature long-term, so be careful with tankmates if any are intended. There are some lovely small characins that are good here, but many are not. :fish:And floating plants like Water Sprite or Frogbit woould be well appreciated by the fish, and help you with water quality.

A beautiful fish indeed. A couple of things here. First, Prime detoxifies ammonia but this is not permanent; Seachem says it lasts 36 hours, then the "ammonia" becomes toxic again--but this depends. In acidic water (pH below 7) ammonia is largely ammonium which is harmless. In basic water (pH above 7) the bacteria and plants will be able to easily handle the "ammonia" after 24+ hours.

The 0.25 ppm ammonia may be due to the chloramine if this is added to your water (in California it might be). Live plants (which need ammonia/ammonium as their nitrogen source) and nitrifying bacteria will take up toxic ammonia or ammonium, whichever is present.

In other words, there is nothing to worry about.

BTW, welcome to TFF. I've no idea as to your level of knowledge on this fish, but in case you do not know, this fish is a colour form developed from the natural species Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, and this fish (in any variety) must have warmth. A temperature in the 82-86F/28-30C range is mandatory. Not all tropical fish can manage this high a temperature long-term, so be careful with tankmates if any are intended. There are some lovely small characins that are good here, but many are not. :fish:And floating plants like Water Sprite or Frogbit woould be well appreciated by the fish, and help you with water quality.
Thanks for the reply Byron!

I am relatively versed in there care through research, but this is my first time keeping them. I am in California so this makes sense, must be chloramines. I think I'm gonna add some pothos to hang on the side of the tank to soak up impurities. I think with the pothos, and bacteria in my filter they will make quick work of the small amount before the 24 hour detoxification period is up.

Currently not planning on any tank mates as this is a proven breeding pair, so hopeful to turn over some of the money I spend on them haha! I do appreciate the care information, I have seen a bit too much misinformation about their care.

I think I'm gonna add some pothos to hang on the side of the tank to soak up impurities. I think with the pothos, and bacteria in my filter they will make quick work of the small amount before the 24 hour detoxification period is up.

The nitrifying bacteria will take up the ammonia, but not the Pothos.

Terrestrial plants like the pothos use nitrate as their source of nitrogen. Aquatic plants use ammonium/ammonia as their preferred nitrogen source. Floating plants are your absolute best bet here, dealing with ammonia, as they can take up a lot of it.

If you have a nitrate issue, terrestrial plants with roots in the tank water can remove nitrate. But I must caution you on pothos...it is a toxic plant. The sap is toxic, and if it should get in the water, it could kill the rams. I know there are others who will say this is not an issue, but there are enough botanical sites warning of the toxicity of this plant's sap to pets that I would not risk your rams. As you said, they are sensitive fish to begin with.

Terrestrial plants like the pothos use nitrate as their source of nitrogen. Aquatic plants use ammonium/ammonia as their preferred nitrogen source. Floating plants are your absolute best bet here, dealing with ammonia, as they can take up a lot of it.

If you have a nitrate issue, terrestrial plants with roots in the tank water can remove nitrate. But I must caution you on pothos...it is a toxic plant. The sap is toxic, and if it should get in the water, it could kill the rams. I know there are others who will say this is not an issue, but there are enough botanical sites warning of the toxicity of this plant's sap to pets that I would not risk your rams. As you said, they are sensitive fish to begin with.
Noted, will pick up some safer aquarium plants. thanks again for the reply!

Just follow up but I don't see any reports of pothos killing fish online, it is toxic to cats and dogs if ingested but not seeing anything on it ever killing a fish.

Just follow up but I don't see any reports of pothos killing fish online, it is toxic to cats and dogs if ingested but not seeing anything on it ever killing a fish.

Are you going to risk your fish? Understanding fish physiology as I do, as a layman admittedly, there is no way I would ever add or risk adding any toxin to the tank water. Substances dissolved or mixed into the water will enter the fish with the water, if the substance is able to diffuse across the cell membranes. They are your fish, and your decision.

Welcome to the Forum!

I breed Dark Knight (ie. Black, Midnight, etc.) Rams and have a couple of pointers that might be beneficial to you.

1. As @Byron said, they need warmth. I keep mine at 84F.
2. They are extremely sensitive. I do weekly 30% water changes weekly --> I would consider this a minimum. If you are capable of doing larger, I would recommend 50%. People often complain that Rams "just die". In reality, they were not provided with the care that is needed.
3. Black Rams are pretty hard to find and in my experience are almost all bred in the US and South Africa. Word to the wise --> most rams at LFS are farmed overseas and come to the US severely weakened and sick with worms/gill flukes.
4. Avoid, as much as possible, feeding blood worms regularly. They are known to cause significant digestive obstructions and could result in the death of your Rams.

If you have more questions I'd be happy to help. Looks like you've got a lovely pair!

You should contact your water supply company and let them know there is free ammonia in the tap water. They have added too much when making the chloramine and need to reduce the ammonia.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back