Hello

That other guy

Reaction score
Hi Paul here from Dublin Ireland. What brings me here? Well iv looked everywhere for a Irish forum and it seems they have all gone since my early days of keeping fish. So i thought id join in here and see how things are. Iv been keeping fish for roughly 15 yrs now. The first five yrs i was like any fish addict with probably around 10 tanks 😅. Than got really into it and mostly focused on breeding cichlids with roughly 20 tanks. Downsized when she came along to about 4. About 5 yrs ago got our own house and installed a massive 8ft by 3ft setup. This was my only tank for the last 5 yrs my pride and joy. Recently moved house and the tank was destroyed in the move 🙈. I tried a couple of marine tanks in my early days but than it was strictly only african cichlids. The 8ft tank had 63 mbuna in it. All wild caught or f1 from mixed blood lines. Iv kept mbuna in many 4ft to 6ft tanks but 8 by 3 IMO was just the best way of watching them really adpat to a "natural" enviroment if you will. You would be blown away at how many species that would outgrow the "max" size in captivity. All of my mbuna where healthy monsters. Ill do my best to try get photos of it from a friend. I had it for yrs and well. I just stopped taking photos of it i got so use to it. But any guests that would come in would pull there phones out straight away 😂. Needless to say its left a giant hole that cant be replaced 🙈 All fish where saved. Some donated some sold. I took a massive break (8 months😅) and i had to get my fingers wet. Iv my kids involved this time and we are going a entirely new road into planted community tanks 🫢. We are loving it so far but i dnt know who i was kidding. I PROMISED myself it would be a cheap nano and i wouldnt care about it. Now im regretting it big time and i need NEED a upgrade to a fancy 4ft frameless rimless tank. Just not a fan of plastic trimmings 😅. Currently i have a 150L nano planted setup with fancy aqua scape. Stocking is x6 pygmy corys, x6 Dwarf dario badis, x6 Pseudomugil Gertrudae Aru island yellow fin (x3 more on the way), x1 Otocinclus. The tank is only running about x2 weeks now with most fish only the past couple of days. So not much plant growth. I cheated as always and used water and filter media from a local petshops sump 😄. That with some daily checks and care and things are great 👍. Iv been looking around the website and im looking forward to jumping in.

Welcome from south Florida! Would love to see some pictures. I don’t have as interesting a story or extensive experience but am currently running 6 tanks of mostly endlers and a 400 gallon DIY pond of tilapia. 10 years of running one tank at a time some time back, and just got back into it this last year.

Well, welcome aboard... :hi:
And just like the other members, I'm looking forward for some pictures...

Thanks everyone. Ill post a progress video on our nano later today
Welcome from south Florida! Would love to see some pictures. I don’t have as interesting a story or extensive experience but am currently running 6 tanks of mostly endlers and a 400 gallon DIY pond of tilapia. 10 years of running one tank at a time some time back, and just got back into it this last year.
400 gallon tilapia pond.... Say no more. They are show piece projects 👏. My next dream if im ever allowed 😅. I want a massive raised koi pond with a clear front wall. She will never go for it 😂😂

Hi Paul here from Dublin Ireland. What brings me here? Well iv looked everywhere for a Irish forum and it seems they have all gone since my early days of keeping fish. So i thought id join in here and see how things are. Iv been keeping fish for roughly 15 yrs now. The first five yrs i was like any fish addict with probably around 10 tanks 😅. Than got really into it and mostly focused on breeding cichlids with roughly 20 tanks. Downsized when she came along to about 4. About 5 yrs ago got our own house and installed a massive 8ft by 3ft setup. This was my only tank for the last 5 yrs my pride and joy. Recently moved house and the tank was destroyed in the move 🙈. I tried a couple of marine tanks in my early days but than it was strictly only african cichlids. The 8ft tank had 63 mbuna in it. All wild caught or f1 from mixed blood lines. Iv kept mbuna in many 4ft to 6ft tanks but 8 by 3 IMO was just the best way of watching them really adpat to a "natural" enviroment if you will. You would be blown away at how many species that would outgrow the "max" size in captivity. All of my mbuna where healthy monsters. Ill do my best to try get photos of it from a friend. I had it for yrs and well. I just stopped taking photos of it i got so use to it. But any guests that would come in would pull there phones out straight away 😂. Needless to say its left a giant hole that cant be replaced 🙈 All fish where saved. Some donated some sold. I took a massive break (8 months😅) and i had to get my fingers wet. Iv my kids involved this time and we are going a entirely new road into planted community tanks 🫢. We are loving it so far but i dnt know who i was kidding. I PROMISED myself it would be a cheap nano and i wouldnt care about it. Now im regretting it big time and i need NEED a upgrade to a fancy 4ft frameless rimless tank. Just not a fan of plastic trimmings 😅. Currently i have a 150L nano planted setup with fancy aqua scape. Stocking is x6 pygmy corys, x6 Dwarf dario badis, x6 Pseudomugil Gertrudae Aru island yellow fin (x3 more on the way), x1 Otocinclus. The tank is only running about x2 weeks now with most fish only the past couple of days. So not much plant growth. I cheated as always and used water and filter media from a local petshops sump 😄. That with some daily checks and care and things are great 👍. Iv been looking around the website and im looking forward to jumping in.
Welcome ! I’m new here too! But I am a noob in the aquatics world 😂😂 I started my tank only 4 months ago! So far it’s been a learning curve , fun and dramatic! Can’t wait to learn more and more from all of you! Also I want to see pictures 😁😁

Welcome ! I’m new here too! But I am a noob in the aquatics world 😂😂 I started my tank only 4 months ago! So far it’s been a learning curve , fun and dramatic! Can’t wait to learn more and more from all of you! Also I want to see pictures 😁😁
Thank you. Very much appreciated. We all started somewhere 👍. For anyone looking a spy at are wee setup its in the photos and videos section.

Thanks everyone. Ill post a progress video on our nano later today

400 gallon tilapia pond.... Say no more. They are show piece projects 👏. My next dream if im ever allowed 😅. I want a massive raised koi pond with a clear front wall. She will never go for it 😂😂
IMG_2865.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2895.png
    IMG_2895.png
    536.6 KB · Views: 15
I can’t say the pond is complete because I keep changing things and haven’t edged that back wall yet or finished a cosmetically problematic corner. I can relate with the spouse not going for it - my husband has no interest in fish whatsoever and is doing his best not to complain too much. I suspect he is secretly hoping our upcoming vacation will lead to a multi tank disaster that ends the craziness but I’ve been prepping to avoid that. Timers and feeders, tweaking food amounts, keeping the water clean, etc. Still nervous about it though.

I can’t say the pond is complete because I keep changing things and haven’t edged that back wall yet or finished a cosmetically problematic corner. I can relate with the spouse not going for it - my husband has no interest in fish whatsoever and is doing his best not to complain too much. I suspect he is secretly hoping our upcoming vacation will lead to a multi tank disaster that ends the craziness but I’ve been prepping to avoid that. Timers and feeders, tweaking food amounts, keeping the water clean, etc. Still nervous about it though.
Its amazing. The little seat as well 😄. I know where i would want to have my cup of tea anyway 👏

Most reactions

trending

Back