Hello

SpeckledStarlight

Reaction score
My names Mika definitely looking forward to learning from everyone. We have a 55 gallon tank that started out my bf and mines but he kept coming home with fish he liked and chose so I decided to get a 10 gallon. My tank houses 4 catfish, 4 snails, a Betta and now a gold fish. I got attached to the gold fish and didnā€™t want to give him away but we donā€™t have enough room for a 3rd tank so heā€™s chilling with my Betta. No squabbles.

Hi there.

Goldfish are coldwater fish and bettas are tropical fish. Does the tank have a heater?
What kind of catfish and snails do you have?

Photos?

Welcome! I too am looking forward to learning more about your setup!

A2E6E766-2E9B-42F2-8788-EBD2EE125DD2.jpeg
I do have a heater, I try to keep it under 80 but temp keeps fluctuating. I think itā€™s because it sits in the living room and we have a sliding door. I have 3 mystery snails and a Zebra Nerite. 3 Albino Catfish and a gray black one. These are also live plants. I plan on adding some black sand soon. I know Iā€™ll have to take everything out and put the sand on the bottom and build back up.

I do have a heater, I try to keep it under 80 but temp keeps fluctuating. I think itā€™s because it sits in the living room and we have a sliding door. I have 3 mystery snails and a Zebra Nerite. 3 Albino Catfish and a gray black one. These are also live plants. I plan on adding some black sand soon. I know Iā€™ll have to take everything out and put the sand on the bottom and build back up.
"Catfish" are a group. Can you be more specific? Are you talking about corydoras? Can we see, please?

And goldfish are cold water fish, they should not be kept with tropical fish like catfish or bettas.

Last edited:
These are corydoras. They're a species of catfish that should be kept in groups of at least 6 per species.

The albino ones are from the species corydoras aeneus. Unfortunately I'm not sure what species the speckled ones are.

Corydoras are bottom feeder fish with delicate undersides and barbels that can be damaged by harder substrates such as gravel. As you've already said, you should get sand if you plan on keeping these fish. This helps them to feed as they eat by sifting through sand to pick out little bits of food.

Hope this helps. But yes, you really should get a separate tank for the goldfish. They're cold water fish and don't do too well in tropical tanks.

Welcome! I hope you can get a nice big tank for your goldfish! Does he have a single tail, or a double? The single tails will get over a foot long, and the doubles about 8 inches.

Welcome! I hope you can get a nice big tank for your goldfish! Does he have a single tail, or a double? The single tails will get over a foot long, and the doubles about 8 inches.
He has a double tail and now that you mention it he is bigger than when I first got him.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back