Hello!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Peacock gudgeons like to spawn in the tiniest of spaces. Make sure you have some 'caves' that look too tight for both of them to fit into. I used sections of 3/4 inch diameter plastic pipe.
The male will look after the eggs once they are laid. He will suck them every so often - it looks as though he's eating them but he isn't. When the eggs are ready to hatch, he will suck up the fry and spit them out of the cave.

But be warned, any other fish in the tank will eat the eggs when the male comes out to eat, and if any survive to hatch, the fry won't last long.

Peacock gudgeons like to spawn in the tiniest of spaces. Make sure you have some 'caves' that look too tight for both of them to fit into. I used sections of 3/4 inch diameter plastic pipe.
The male will look after the eggs once they are laid. He will suck them every so often - it looks as though he's eating them but he isn't. When the eggs are ready to hatch, he will suck up the fry and spit them out of the cave.

But be warned, any other fish in the tank will eat the eggs when the male comes out to eat, and if any survive to hatch, the fry won't last long.
I can still keep the female in the tank though, right? I’m going to remove the guppy once I’ve gotten the new gudgeons and they’re not just hiding in the back all the time.

The female is OK when the male is guarding eggs because he hardly ever leaves them. But once the eggs have hatched, the parents could well regard them as food. Although I have had these fish breed several times in my tanks and just once had fry, they have always been in with other fish so I don't know how the parents would behave in a species-only tank.

Sounds good! It does seem like my plans may be delayed since Petco hasn’t gotten the delivery yet and they may not get them. I ended up picking up some female endlers and a male since where I am females are very rare. Until they get the gudgeons in I may just focus on breeding the endlers but I will get the gudgeons once they get some!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back