Hello

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Am i starting of decent?

• Total voters

Courtney Hacker

Reaction score
Hello, im just starting off in the fish world but here are my two tanks. the smaller one is a temp. housing for my red tail shark and my tiger barbs. The larger tank has our "friendly" fish. 4 cat fish of different species, 2 zebras, 2 mollies, and we HAD 3 tetras in there but i woke up this morning to them dead -_- im guessing they were shocked from the new move.

Attachments

• 58147813581__755E832D-2350-4D8C-B35D-ED94AD77A9D9.JPG
    58147813581__755E832D-2350-4D8C-B35D-ED94AD77A9D9.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 215
Courtney I suggest you remove the plastic plants. They are not suitable for any aquarium. Your barb tank looks fine.

You started off better than I did! How many gallons is the tank? Does it have a heater?

You said you wanted live plants?

• Anacharis
  • Java Fern
  • Water Sprite
  • Anubis
These are some of the most common beginner plants, in the hobby.

Also, please go to the “Tank Of the Month” contest, and vote now! (Just go to said thread by clicking the banner at the top of your screen , thank you!) :)

You started off better than I did! How many gallons is the tank? Does it have a heater?

You said you wanted live plants?

• Anacharis
  • Java Fern
  • Water Sprite
  • Anubis
These are some of the most common beginner plants, in the hobby.

Also, please go to the “Tank Of the Month” contest, and vote now! (Just go to said thread by clicking the banner at the top of your screen , thank you!) :)
the larger tank is 20 gallons. it does have an heater!

I would suggest getting more Zebras ( you are re referencing to the species, “Zebra Danio”, correct?), Maybe 4 more. That should make them happier. @Byron, is the best man I know for the job of a stocking list. I’m hanging this one over to you @Byron. Thank you! :) :thanks:

I see nothing wrong with plastic plants. I've been using fake plants for years.

Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

I have to agree with the others on this one. Live plants are more beneficial than plastic plants. They create a natural habitat for the fish.

The use of plastic plants can cause injury occasionally with fish. The same goes for any ornaments that have sharp edges etc.

However, you do have a lovely tank! So well done.

Best of luck!

do you have any suggestions for real plants to put in?
IMO, plastic plants are fine unless you have a betta or fancy goldfish. In that case, tails can tear on them. I use plastic plants in my tropical tank and shrimp tank. Silk plants are good for bettas and fancies. Of course, live plants are the best but some people can’t grow them. Anubias and amazon swords are easy. Good luck!

Last edited:
I only use plastic plants in my Zebra Danio tank. If you have a betta, it will rip their fins. I either use silk, or live plants in my betta tanks. :)

I removed all plastic plants and added 2 live places in and they are all doing great. I actually merged my 2 tanks together and I’ve never seen them get along better. They are all schooling together and it’s an amazing thing to see. I’m currently looking to upgrade to a bigger tank seeing how 20 gallons is to small for them but they are loving it for now seeing how they are all tiny.

That’s so cool! Congratulations! :good:

May I please see a picture? I always love to see a picture of a new tank! :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back