Hello TFF

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Adequate

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been keeping fish for the past six or so years, both freshwater and saltwater. With regards to freshwater fishkeeping, my focus has been on native fishes in southwestern Australia, a group of species that is highly underrated, in my opinion, and seldom kept in aquaria, in contrast to other Australian species such as rainbowfish. They're not the most colourful bunch, I'll give you that, but there's a sense of pride in keeping these hidden gems right on my doorstep and found nowhere else (most species are entirely endemic to the region). As for saltwater, my focus has been on nano and pico setups, there's something so appealing about distilling reefkeeping to its most basic elements (think a pico jar or the Ecoreef Zero), not to mention how such a system defies the common (and usually true) belief that reefkeeping is so difficult and expensive.

Other than fishkeeping, my other passion is herpetology, which is older than my interest in fishkeeping. I enjoy spending time looking for reptiles (especially snakes) out in the bush and photographing them. And I also keep a pet Stimsons python 🐍

Looking forward to my time on this forum :thumbs:

Hi everyone,

I've been keeping fish for the past six or so years, both freshwater and saltwater. With regards to freshwater fishkeeping, my focus has been on native fishes in southwestern Australia, a group of species that is highly underrated, in my opinion, and seldom kept in aquaria, in contrast to other Australian species such as rainbowfish. They're not the most colourful bunch, I'll give you that, but there's a sense of pride in keeping these hidden gems right on my doorstep and found nowhere else (most species are entirely endemic to the region). As for saltwater, my focus has been on nano and pico setups, there's something so appealing about distilling reefkeeping to its most basic elements (think a pico jar or the Ecoreef Zero), not to mention how such a system defies the common (and usually true) belief that reefkeeping is so difficult and expensive.

Other than fishkeeping, my other passion is herpetology, which is older than my interest in fishkeeping. I enjoy spending time looking for reptiles (especially snakes) out in the bush and photographing them. And I also keep a pet Stimsons python 🐍

Amazing! I would love to have a snake, but my mom says: "No snakes will ever come in this house"... So nope. Welcome to the forum! Its a really great place here.

Amazing! I would love to have a snake, but my mom says: "No snakes will ever come in this house"... So nope. Welcome to the forum! Its a really great place here.
Thanks pal! They're greatly under-appreciated critters but they're a passionate fascination of mine and always will be. And there's no shortage of them here in Australia!

Hi and welcome to the forum fellow sandgroper :)

I'm trying to work out who you are because not many people keep south west natives except a few of the ANGFA guys and some people at Murdoch Uni (Dave Morgan and co).

I know a few herpetologists too but they have been keeping fish for longer than you so I am guessing you might be one of the young uns from Dave's classes or from ANGFA WA.

Any way, good to have another Aussie on the forum. I was getting bored with these weirdos from the other side of the world. They are up at all sorts of strange hours :)

Forgot to ask, what rainbows do you keep?

Have you seen Adrian Tappin's rainbowfish e-book?
It's at the following link if you want to view it.

Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie . . .

I'm trying to work out who you are because not many people keep south west natives except a few of the ANGFA guys and some people at Murdoch Uni (Dave Morgan and co).

I know a few herpetologists too but they have been keeping fish for longer than you so I am guessing you might be one of the young uns from Dave's classes or from ANGFA WA.

Any way, good to have another Aussie on the forum. I was getting bored with these weirdos from the other side of the world. They are up at all sorts of strange hours :)

Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie . . .
Nice to see you again Colin :)

My limited experience with rainbows was with Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis. Unfortunately, they didn't do too well, though I still managed to get some eggs and fry out of them. I'm looking to try my luck with Pseudomugil signifer and see how they would fare in my reef display tank. I haven't read Adrian's new book, but it looks worth a read :)

Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis do best in brackish or marine tanks. They are found in mangrove swamps and calm coastal areas. Darwin harbour used to have them but it also has chocodiles. The fish need the minerals and salt to live for any length of time.

P. signifer come from different areas. Some are coastal and do well in marine tanks, others are from further inland and live in pure fresh water. There are also southern and northern varieties with the southern strains usually being smaller than the northern types.

I had my P. signifers in a 4ft tank with gravel and a few plants. The pH was around 8.0, GH about 200ppm. They bred near the gravel and I found dozens of eggs in the bottom of the bucket when I was gravel cleaning the tank each week. They were pretty cool to watch too. there were 20 or so adults and the males spent all day every day displaying to each other and the girls. It was an incredible sight.

With the cyanodorsalis, I had the most luck with low-mid strength brackish water (with a few deaths in full-strength marine), but the end goal was always to get them into a full marine reef tank. I think the signifers may fare better, given that they're larger and more widespread.

It was awesome to see the cyanodorsalis get into their golden breeding colours and spar each other. I'd find eggs in the spawning mops from time to time (egg production slowed in winter when it got too cold) but came back up afterwards. I hope to observe greater success with the signifers.

Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie . . .
Excuse me mon amie, you should never insult me or any one else out of this world because they are strangers or something like that. Then you are disqualified and wrong, and about all, what does it will to me as a foreign language? I don't hope that mes amies!

Excuse me mon amie, you should never insult me or any one else out of this world because they are strangers or something like that. Then you are disqualified and wrong, and about all, what does it will to me as a foreign language? I don't hope that mes amies!
I don't believe @Colin_T meant any harm by that statement, pretty sure he was just joking around, like he's known to do ;)

I don't know what half of that means because I don't speak French.

But when we put a smily face :) after a comment, it usually means we are joking or mucking around having fun. :)

Hi everyone,

Hello Adequate I have to apologize, very welcome here to TTF if I could say!

Hi & welcome to TFF.
They're not the most colourful bunch, I'll give you that
I'm keeping several wild livebearers overhere and most of them are also not colorful but they're so interesting to keep...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back