Hello peeps!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
14ppm is really soft water, which is great for tetras, barbs, rasboras, gouramis, angelfish and Corydoras. But it's way too soft for livebearers like guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies, which need a GH over 200ppm (250ppm for mollies).

14ppm is really soft water, which is great for tetras, barbs, rasboras, gouramis, angelfish and Corydoras. But it's way too soft for livebearers like guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies, which need a GH over 200ppm (250ppm for mollies).

OK now we are getting somewhere.... the 10000$ question is .... Is there an chemical amendment I can add to the water? or would it be a better plan to switch to a different fish after I make these changes??:huh:..

My real goal here is to make an aquatic environment that I can have happy and healthy fish.

Is there an chemical amendment I can add to the water? or would it be a better plan to switch to a different fish after I make these changes??:huh:..
Switch to different fish. I don’t trust all of those ph raisers, or nitrate lowers, because you are messing with the chemistry of the water. Just get the fish, that match your waters GH. :)

You can add Rift Lake water conditioners to increase the GH, KH and pH, or you can keep softwater fishes. If you increase the GH you will have to do it every time you do a water change. You make up the water 24 hours in advance and then use that water to water change the tank.

Switch to different fish. I don’t trust all of those ph raisers, or nitrate lowers, because you are messing with the chemistry of the water. Just get the fish, that match your waters GH. :)

Agree 100%... I'm going to give my LFS one more shot cuz quite honestly they should have known that the water company basically services the whole county and if the water is too soft to keep healthy guppies, they should have known that and informed me. :no: ... If I make all these changes and I still cant keep fish healthy I got to assume the fish quality is poor. its too bad cuz there really is only 1 independent small fish store left. Ill have to purchase online.

Now based on this new info... Should I still add aquarium salt when I do water changes? And I use PH buffer and conditioner to keep PH around 7.0 during water changes.. I will continue that unless an expert here tells me no.

I will hold off on a new filter and see what happens when I re-populate.
I will also avoid filter media changes at every water change. And wash out the media and add new charcoal.
I will be getting a full water test kit and do my own water testing.

thanks so much !

I wouldn't go to a pet shop and have a go at them about the water quality in the county. You won't be welcome back after that. :)

The shop might increase the GH of their livebearer tanks, or they might not care. As long as the fish are alive in their tanks, most shops aren't too fussed about water chemistry.

----------------------
You need to get your filter sorted before doing anything else. Add some sponges and stop replacing the filter pads.

Post some pictures of the fish so I can check them for diseases.

Do water changes and gravel cleans each day for a week or two if they get sick.

Add salt if they get sick.

Now based on this new info... Should I still add aquarium salt when I do water changes? And I use PH buffer and conditioner to keep PH around 7.0 during water changes.. I will continue that unless an expert here tells me no.

I will hold off on a new filter and see what happens when I re-populate.
I will also avoid filter media changes at every water change. And wash out the media and add new charcoal.
  1. Don't worry about pH - seriously it is only of academic interest and almost never worth trying to change, all the fish care about is that it is stable over time
  2. Filters don't become less effective with age. If the motor breaks or it starts leaking that is different, but until then don't waste your money.
@Colin_T is right when he says you can add Rift Lake water conditioners to increase the GH, KH and pH. There are a number of products around. If you go this route go for an "all in one solution". Some companies (hello Seachem) would like you to buy lots of products and test kits and become a home chemist. I use such a product in my shrimp tank, and one scoop of a single product per 10 litres of water is way easier than juggling 3 or 4 different products to get the perfect balance. Its your choice. Keeping fish that suit your water makes more sense, but if you prefer to stick with the livebearers its easy enough to do.

Update:
Vacuumed gravel and did a 95% water change. Picked up some new residents, Switched over to Tetras and Corys. The lone Guppy I have since named Rocky - Cuz he is a survivor.
Master Water Test Kit - On order
Activated carbon - On order
Added Aquarium Salt and Tap Water Conditioner during water change.

2 weeks from now I will do a 50% water change wash the filter media and add new charcoal. I will post up some water test results.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back