Hello. Is there rehab for fish addiction?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Xiana

Reaction score
Hi! I'm Christiana. That's my daughter's question about rehab.
So the aquarium started out as my 10 year old daughter's. She begged and begged for those neon glo fish. But I knew that Mom would be taking care of them...
So a year later, and three glo fish in a 30g, they're mine. This was fine decoration until SIP2020. And working and sitting home, with nothing on tv, and hating screens in general. I'm staring at fish and rocks and plastic plants. Ok. Guppies are colorful. And platys have varying designs. This started out slow. Fast forward, six months ago. Mom now has 15 fish, three from tank offspring. And a few hidden fry. Nose glued to the glass. Diving view and I don't have to get wet and cold! AND, now a 55 gal. (Held back from the 90g, to limit the addiction but regretting it) Oh and two Betta (not mine...Yet) in a separated 10 gal. So my living room looks like a museum...
I've had fish off and on most of my life but it's been awhile...and the last adult aquarium were semi-aggressives.
Now I'm totally fascinated with plants!!

Soooo... maybe (a little) fish addicted?

PS, the threads have been fascinating and I've learned a few things. So I thought I'd ask too. Thanks for the community!

So the aquarium started out as my 10 year old daughter's. She begged and begged for those neon glo fish. But I knew that Mom would be taking care of them...
So a year later, and three glo fish in a 30g, they're mine. This was fine decoration until SIP2020. And working and sitting home, with nothing on tv, and hating screens in general. I'm staring at fish and rocks and plastic plants. Ok. Guppies are colorful. And platys have varying designs. This started out slow. Fast forward, six months ago. Mom now has 15 fish, three from tank offspring. And a few hidden fry. Nose glued to the glass. Diving view and I don't have to get wet and cold! AND, now a 55 gal. (Held back from the 90g, to limit the addiction but regretting it) Oh and two Betta (not mine...Yet) in a separated 10 gal. So my living room looks like a museum...
I've had fish off and on most of my life but it's been awhile...and the last adult aquarium were semi-aggressives.

PS, the threads have been fascinating and I've learned a few things. So I thought I'd ask too. Thanks for the community!
Sounds great for a picture time ...

Ok an a more serious note whats the addict have costs you ? Any bad outcome or something ?

Sorry to tell you there is no rehab / therapy.
But there will be a balance after some time.
After touching the 11 running tanks and I am back to 4 smaller tanks (bigger ones stored).

I have caught a special type of this addiction Coryditis with a type of MTS as a result .

Sorry to tell you there is no rehab / therapy.
But there will be a balance after some time.
After touching the 11 running tanks and I am back to 4 smaller tanks (bigger ones stored).

I have caught a special type of this addiction Coryditis with a type of MTS as a result .
I look forward to it. 🥰

I had to go to treatment last year for AAD. (Aquarium Adiction Disorder) despite intensive therapy and help it was concluded that there was no cure for my disorder. The doctor tried everything. He prescribed FUD. A med that causes you fish to die unexpectedly. FFD a med that causes your favorite fish to die. But nothing sedated me. Eventually I was discharged and have to live my life with this incurable addiction. I am addicted to caring for fish. There is no hope. If someone can help this junkie dm me.

lol

Ok an a more serious note whats the addict have costs you ? Any bad outcome or something
I had to go to treatment last year for AAD. (Aquarium Adiction Disorder) despite intensive therapy and help it was concluded that there was no cure for my disorder. The doctor tried everything. He prescribed FUD. A med that causes you fish to die unexpectedly. FFD a med that causes your favorite fish to die. But nothing sedated me. Eventually I was discharged and have to live my life with this incurable addiction. I am addicted to caring for fish. There is no hope. If someone can help this junkie dm me.

lol
Oh No!! You had to leave your fish?!?! 😱 The withdrawals are unbearable!

Ok an a more serious note whats the addict have costs you ? Any bad outcome or something ?
Just lost time staring off into the deep wonders, visits to the fish store so regularly that I'm recognized and they save new fish I might like, researching plants and rocks to make hidey-holes, just so I can knock my forehead against the glass trying to see if everyone is accounted for, taking fish on vacation, fish shopping while on vacation... Is that unusual?

Photos to follow, when the new plants are set.

Hey there,
Well.... depends on your mind.... speaking for myself I say : luckily none rehab, none vacccine :lol::lol:

@PheonixKingZ is a fellow addict. I know that we have compared notes several times. Maybe he can share his sad tale of fish and plant addiction. I know he has an addiction to growing elodea in his 29 gallon.
LOL, definitely an addict.

I stayed in freshwater for the past 6 years or so, and then decided to try the salty side. Now, instead of being addicted to plants, I'm addicted to coral... (Which is WAY worse, because coral is SO much more expensive than plants)

I've almost spent $1k on my 29g saltwater setup... it's crazy.

Just lost time staring off into the deep wonders, visits to the fish store so regularly that I'm recognized and they save new fish I might like, researching plants and rocks to make hidey-holes, just so I can knock my forehead against the glass trying to see if everyone is accounted for, taking fish on vacation, fish shopping while on vacation... Is that unusual?

Photos to follow, when the new plants are set.
Nope, not unusual at all! I try to convince my mom to go to my LFS at least once a week.

I usually say I'm "just looking", but then I end up getting a coral frag.. ;) :lol:

I just got back in the hobby last year...started with two tanks...I now have 10 going ..no there is no cure...PS ..IMHO you should have gotten the 90G :)

Oh No!! You had to leave your fish?!?! 😱 The withdrawals are unbearable!
Yes, the withdrawals were agonizing. I was obsessively stalking the forums, I even walked down to the lake by the rehab center and had to be pulled out by the police. I was yelling and calling to the fish in the lake and trying to harvest aquatic plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back