Hello im new here.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CharLee86

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Im Camilla and other than being a full time mum I keep tropical fish.

My love for fish keeping and betta's in perticular started when I was very little.
My uncle used to keep beautiful veiltail betta's and I remember thinking "when I grow up I will have a blue one"

About 25 years later I have 3 tanks in different sizes and my very first betta was indeed blue.

I love my fish and I try to learn as much about them as I can.

Other than keeping fish I also like to actually go and catch them.
My partner and I like to go fishing as often as we can.
Mostly carp fishing but also other fish if possible.
My proudest catch so far is a Barbel.

I could go on about other interests as well but ill keep it fish related for now :D

Attachments

• 20210107_162039.jpg
    20210107_162039.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 111
Welcome to this place. They’re very knowledgeable and helpful on here, they’ll see you right.
Me? Im unknowledgeable and the only help I can offer anyone is to point them in the direction of their water providers website for their waters chemical details and to seriouslyfish.com for their fishes preferences.
So errrh yeah. That’s about it. Take care and have fun.

omg that is one of the most gorgeous bettas! what camera? nice photography also. WELCOME! :hi::drinks:

omg that is one of the most gorgeous bettas! what camera? nice photography also. WELCOME! :hi::drinks:
Heya and thank you.

That is my very own Flashheart. His dad is a red and blye veiltail and the mum is a white dumbo.
No fancy camera, just used my phone (samsung galaxy s10).
Got mega lucky with the shot.
They just don't stand still long enough xD

Welcome to this place. They’re very knowledgeable and helpful on here, they’ll see you right.
Me? Im unknowledgeable and the only help I can offer anyone is to point them in the direction of their water providers website for their waters chemical details and to seriouslyfish.com for their fishes preferences.
So errrh yeah. That’s about it. Take care and have fun.
Thank you so much.
Looking forward to get to know people here :D.

Welcome! Nice to see another fisherman (fisherwoman? fisherperson?) on the forum, though around here it's more about trout and carp are considered a trash fish. I think they're still fun to catch, though. :)

Hi and thank you.

Im orginally from Norway but moved to the uk about 5 years ago.
Carp is very much considered a trash fish in Norway to.
Nobody wants to bring them in because they just eat up all the food for any other fish in what ever lake they have been introduced. Vacume cleaners with fins haha .

I do like fishing for them here in the uk though.
Desperately want to up my pb. Been fishing in lakes with mostly small fish.
Biggest ive got so far was 16.3lbs.
Landed what looked like a good 20lbs'er but as my partner was going to take the net away from underneath it...it did a wallop and jumped back into the water ?. Bye bye fish.

Hi and thank you.

Im orginally from Norway but moved to the uk about 5 years ago.
Carp is very much considered a trash fish in Norway to.
Nobody wants to bring them in because they just eat up all the food for any other fish in what ever lake they have been introduced. Vacume cleaners with fins haha .

I do like fishing for them here in the uk though.
Desperately want to up my pb. Been fishing in lakes with mostly small fish.
Biggest ive got so far was 16.3lbs.
Landed what looked like a good 20lbs'er but as my partner was going to take the net away from underneath it...it did a wallop and jumped back into the water ?. Bye bye fish.
Well, @WhistlingBadger I think that anyone who calls any carp a trash fish should go and catch one themselves. They will then see that they are no trash fish especially the mirrors. Also do you do bowfishing?

@CharLee86 you've defo caught bigger ones than me then lol. I'm more of a match fisherman though and prefer having constant action. Whilst you could get constant action on a major carp lake I like it better catching different species of fish in one session. That is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I really want to catch a barbel too.

Well, @WhistlingBadger I think that anyone who calls any carp a trash fish should go and catch one themselves. They will then see that they are no trash fish especially the mirrors. Also do you do bowfishing?

@CharLee86 you've defo caught bigger ones than me then lol. I'm more of a match fisherman though and prefer having constant action. Whilst you could get constant action on a major carp lake I like it better catching different species of fish in one session. That is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I really want to catch a barbel too.
Ive caught a few common carp but no mirror so far.
I would love to catch one, maybe it will be a 20lbs'er to, would be awesome.

Carp and perch are sort of considered "trash fish" in Norway because you can't really use them for anything.
Carp tastes horrid and perch are so full of bones its a bit " eat at own risk" kind of thing...they do taste so nice though.

My previous husband did not like to release the fish he caught but I did... caused some issues haha.

I do prefer to release the fish I catch and can't wait to see what I might catch next time.

Have you ever caught a ghost carp?
How do you feel about koi carp?

Ive caught a few common carp but no mirror so far.
I would love to catch one, maybe it will be a 20lbs'er to, would be awesome.

Carp and perch are sort of considered "trash fish" in Norway because you can't really use them for anything.
Carp tastes horrid and perch are so full of bones its a bit " eat at own risk" kind of thing...they do taste so nice though.

My previous husband did not like to release the fish he caught but I did... caused some issues haha.

I do prefer to release the fish I catch and can't wait to see what I might catch next time.

Have you ever caught a ghost carp?
How do you feel about koi carp?
I have caught quite a few ghost carp and have seen some floating around under my peg a few months back. My grandpa had caught a few mirror carp a month or so back and they had some really nice scale patterns on them. Personally I adore koi carp. Definitely want a pond big enough house one. I like the ghost ones and the all albino/platinum. I also really like the grey ones with a few splashes of white on them. They look really nice.

I do enjoy bowfishing for carp. Besides being a lot of fun and great archery practice, I consider it a service to the environment, removing a harmful invasive. But I keep hearing that they're good eating IF you treat them just right. Might have to try it this spring. I'm also planning to learn how to use their skins, which are said to make good leather.

But anyway. Welcome, Charlee. :)

I do enjoy bowfishing for carp. Besides being a lot of fun and great archery practice, I consider it a service to the environment, removing a harmful invasive. But I keep hearing that they're good eating IF you treat them just right. Might have to try it this spring. I'm also planning to learn how to use their skins, which are said to make good leather.

But anyway. Welcome, Charlee. :)
Only reason I asked was because I noticed that your profile picture is a person holding a bow and arrow. Is that you in your profile picture as well?

Edit: I never knew that carp scales or skin can be used for leather. There’s a show called Monster Carp. It’s an English show not sure if you have heard of it but basically three talented carp anglers travel the word trying to catch a big carp from the venue they fish. One time they went to Bosnia and they ate carp near the end of the show. Apparently it has a lot of bones in it. @CharLee86 have you heard of the show I mentioned above?

Only reason I asked was because I noticed that your profile picture is a person holding a bow and arrow. Is that you in your profile picture as well?

Edit: I never knew that carp scales or skin can be used for leather. There’s a show called Monster Carp. It’s an English show not sure if you have heard of it but basically three talented carp anglers travel the word trying to catch a big carp from the venue they fish. One time they went to Bosnia and they ate carp near the end of the show. Apparently it has a lot of bones in it. @CharLee86 have you heard of the show I mentioned above?
yes, that's me. I'm a fairly avid bowhunter. Elk and deer are my preferred quarry, but carp are fun in the off-season. I really enjoy primitive bows. As far as eating carp, I keep reading that you have to filet them to get out most of the bones, cook them right to soften the remaining ones, and remove the dark strip of meat that contains all the nasty flavor. If I get around to trying it, I'll keep you posted. :)

yes, that's me. I'm a fairly avid bowhunter. Elk and deer are my preferred quarry, but carp are fun in the off-season. I really enjoy primitive bows. As far as eating carp, I keep reading that you have to filet them to get out most of the bones, cook them right to soften the remaining ones, and remove the dark strip of meat that contains all the nasty flavor. If I get around to trying it, I'll keep you posted. :)
Cool! What are the leather of the carp used for? Never heard of carp leather before.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back