Hello, I am getting back into having Topical fish after several years.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Hello, I had several freshwater aquariums (6) when I was younger but stopped many years ago. Now that I have retired I am slowly getting back into the hobby. I currently have a 40 gallon turtle tank that I have maintained for the past 25 years with two red slider turtles that are also 25 years old and were babies when I got them. I have started a 55 gallon freshwater fish and plant aquarium. I always used plastic plants in the past so this is new to me. I am trying to have a balanced tank between fish and plants that is good for both. So far I have 6 neon, 5 red eye and 5 ember tetras along with two snails and a shrimp. I am slowly adding plants and fish as I go.

Hello, I had several freshwater aquariums (6) when I was younger but stopped many years ago. Now that I have retired I am slowly getting back into the hobby. I currently have a 40 gallon turtle tank that I have maintained for the past 25 years with two red slider turtles that are also 25 years old and were babies when I got them. I have started a 55 gallon freshwater fish and plant aquarium. I always used plastic plants in the past so this is new to me. I am trying to have a balanced tank between fish and plants that is good for both. So far I have 6 neon, 5 red eye and 5 ember tetras along with two snails and a shrimp. I am slowly adding plants and fish as I go.
Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

What plants do you currently have in your tank? :)

If you have any specific questions about plants ask away. Most of us have live plants only in our tanks! They’re so beneficial to tanks. Also welcome to the fish forums!!!! :hi:

The first plants I put in was marimo moss balls. I ordered some on line and ended up with 15 of them. They really are doing well. Some have doubled in size and there is one the size of a tennis ball. I had them in the tank before adding my 1st fish. I now have some Java fern, African Water fern, Hornwort and a few more. Basic plants that are easy to care for since I am new to having live plants. I wanted to start out simple. Just pick up a little Java moss and added it yesterday.

:hi:
Handy hint: Check the date on posts before replying. Some very old threads have recently sprung back into life ;):D

Hey man ! You and I are in the same exact situation. I just retired and am currently getting my old tropical fish hobby revived. I'm having a ball. There's lots of really knowledgeable people on this forum and you can find out anything. You will be surprised the things you remember. Not much has changed over the years just the gear. But just between you and me, don't listen to that guy with the Killifish as his avatar. He's a blowhard.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back