Hello, Going on an adventure, will need help

Not only is Co2 not necessary, but it's now believed to affect fish.
cO2 occurs naturally from the respiration of fish and plants.
If you plan on a high-tech system, then CO2 could benefit. If you plan on a low tech system where the fish are the priority, then don't use Co2

Argos play sand. There aren't as many swimming pools here, so pool filter sand is less common.

Or you could spend more and get sand from a fish shop.

ok. This is a quick update.I have now broken down my Marine tank and I am waiting for my new tank to be delivered, Hopefully 10th. Its a Ciano 120 pro emotions.
I am going to get rid of the internal filter and use my Ehiem Professional 3, external filter and heater after it has been completely cleaned out.
I have just got 2 bags of JBL volcanic minerals and 2 bags tropica aqua soil.
I am going to pick up about 20kg of dragon stone and a good helping of driftwood.
I am looking at the Hugo Kamishi natural fine gravel and a small bag of the course gravel to go with it.

The only thing i'm looking at now is plants and where to buy them, I do want a good supply, mosses, ferns etc, so if anyone has any recommendations I would be grateful.

Cant wait to get started

For plants I use Aqua Essentials. Their plants are sourced in the EU so they are safe for shrimps and snails, should you ever want any of those.
Horizon Aquatics is another good shop, though they do have a tendency to sell out of certain items.
ProShrimp also offer a good variety.

Very exciting few days. Tanks arrived and I'm almost 90% done with hardscaping. Still needs something on the right side. Will get something today and then silicone it all in. Still shopping for plants.

Any comments to improve it would be good.
IMG_20230112_130132.jpg

Im now at day four with just plants and water in.
I have dosed with Tetrasafe and also Fluval Cycle (250ml over 3 days)
My reading are:
Amm 0, PH 7.4, KH 1.6 (not sure if the test kit is accurate as its a saltwater kit)
NO2 0.5, NO3 20.

Hoping Im going in the right direction, was thinking of getting about 12 cardinals in a few days ???

Once nitrite drops to zero and stays there, you'll be good to go.

Does your test kit include GH? Though in Liverpool I would expect soft water which is good for cardinals.

hi in general most co2 stuff is not to expensive, the most expensive part would be a regulator, please buy a good one and not a Chinese brand one, it will probably be about 110 pounds, for aquasoil dont go with ADA unless you are going to go with the full substrate system.

I am not very experienced, but i've set up a few tanks, and i have come to the conclusion that using expensive aquarium soil is about the same as using cheap big box store substrates.

I like to use plain landscaping sand, and then add root tabs. after a while, everything cycles through and the cheap sand will become very good and fertilized aquarium plant soil
I agree with this. Plus, dirted tanks (even capped) eventually get mixed with sand or whatever is capping them, and the water gets all cloudy and dirty. IMO it's best to use an inert substrate like pool sand/play sand, i like medium grain size with teeny tiny gravel mixed in a bit. Then just add the root tablets to fertilize your root plants. Also, you can do a beautiful tank without CO2, but if you can afford it - the plants will grow faster and look *a little bit better*.

Most reactions

trending

Back