Hello From South Africa

Some interesting crabs you have there. I'm very curious about the true crab species. My project for the weekend.

Shame you couldn't keep the red anemone, that is a cool one. If they are retreating into caves, more likely than not they are non photosynthetic anemones.

You have some lovely coraline growth on the rock to the right.

L

Some interesting crabs you have there. I'm very curious about the true crab species. My project for the weekend.

Shame you couldn't keep the red anemone, that is a cool one. If they are retreating into caves, more likely than not they are non photosynthetic anemones.

You have some lovely coraline growth on the rock to the right.

L

Thanks for the kind compliments. I'm really enjoying learning about this challenging hobby. Fantastic news :hyper: Somebody from the aquarium got back to me and they're willing to impart their knowledge, so i've sent off the pics....now we wait. :whistle: Nothing happens very quickly in Mother Africa.

I took my son and some of his friends fishing on saturday, so while they were creating their stories of "The one that got away"; I was under the rocks checking out the local tropical life.I brought 2 beautiful specimens home . :blush: YES YES I know, inverts only. But I really could not resist. I know that my limit is 2 for my tank.

Both new residents are doing very well but they will not be premanent because they are quite aggressive fish and will not tolerate any other more docile fish. So they will grace my tank until I can get something more desirable. The one is what we call a zebra and the other is a silvie. I'll find out thier proper names and let you know. OHHH yes I also put in some plant life.

Some pics.
DSC00638.jpg

Zebra.

DSC00637.jpg

FTS 15 Jan 2012

Regards,
D

That fish looks like a juvenile of something that gets much bigger. :) So, yes, I imagine it'll not be a permanent resident.

The macro algae...

I'm fairly certain it's Neomeris annulata.

The macro algae...

I'm fairly certain it's Neomeris annulata.

I did the google thing on Neomeris annulata. It does look very similar but mine has a tap root. Do macro algae have roots???

I've also decided that I'm going to upgrade my filter system. I'm busy reading up on that topic atm. so if you don't mind i will be throwing some questions your way.

Regards,
D :lol:

The aquarium has still not replied to my request for help to ID the critters in my tank. :sad: and then this morning I returned the one fish that I had back to the big blue because he was causing all sorts of trouble. He managed to kill some of the shrimp, shorten some of the others' anttennae, terrorize the snails that they seems to scared to come out of their shells and he took a piece out of the zebra fish's tail. :eek:sama: So lets chalk that one up to learning the hard way.

I've been toying with the idea that I want to build a sump with a refurgium. I've been reading anything that I can lay my paws on regarding this piece of equipment and I must say that i'm very keen. The problem that I have is that my tank is not drilled and I'm very low on cash atm. So here is the plan:

1. I'm going to get some offcuts of glass to make my tank a little taller. By doing this I can create a wier at the back of the tank.
2. Using some fancy but simple plumbing I will direct the water from the weir to the sump.
3. Here I have a few options based on avaialble funds, but I think I will try find a 2nd hand tank or maybe just use a plastic drum. I'm a bit confused by the use of baffles. Could somebody please explain the purpose of baffles.
4. I will then use a small return pump to get water back to the main tank. Will copepods survive the trip through the pump??

comments please.

Regards,
D

I got the shock of my life yesterday. I went for a walk on the rocks on my way to work and saw some beautiful marine plants and macroalgae that would look amazing in my tank. Then when I got it home the most strange hitch hiker appeared. It was perfectly camo'd in the plants. It's been cruzing around on the rocks and then goes back to it's plant. What is it and what does it eat? comments please. :crazy:

Here are my latest pics. Excuse the quality. I took it with my phone.
CAn anybody help with this one. I'll take it back if I can't provide for it.
DSC00659.jpg

DSC00661.jpg

DSC00652.jpg

Some shots of the plants/algae in my tank.
DSC00654.jpg

DSC00646.jpg
DSC00643.jpg

DSC00667.jpg

Full Tank Shot
DSC00668.jpg

Hi All, I've been away for a few days and while I was out of town my Hydatina physis laid an egg mass in the gravel right at the front of my tank. We are so excited, it's like awaiting the arrival of your friend's new baby. :hyper: :bday: .
This is by far the most amazingand beautiful snail that I have ever seen. Check out the pics. :kewlpics:

DSC00691.jpg

DSC00690.jpg

DSC00686.jpg

DSC00683.jpg
This is the Egg mass that was laid on the 23 jan 2012. It's amazing how the folds on the egg mass resembles the folds on the snail's mantle.

DSC00685.jpg
Sergeant Major Damsel

DSC00684.jpg

DSC00674.jpg
Beautiful Purple sponge.

I have also raised the sides of my tank by about 35mm to allow for a weir at the back of the tank. Next I will construct plumbing to take the water from the weir to the sump/ Refurgium.

Regards,
D

Sargent majors get beeeeg. You sure it's a sargent major? Aren't you in the Indian ocean. Sargent majors are common in my neck of the woods. Did you buy it or collect it? They get like 6".

Woah! careful that that snail doesn't get caught in uptake tubes or powerheads. What are you feeding it? The source I consulted says they only eat cirratulinid polychaete worms.

Be careful. I'm a little concerned that you're going a wee bit fast here. It's a cool tank, because you can collect, but just be careful. Unless you are only housing them temporarily for observation.

Wow, I go away for a few days... :lol:

Sargent majors get beeeeg. You sure it's a sargent major? Aren't you in the Indian ocean. Sargent majors are common in my neck of the woods. Did you buy it or collect it? They get like 6".

Woah! careful that that snail doesn't get caught in uptake tubes or powerheads. What are you feeding it? The source I consulted says they only eat cirratulinid polychaete worms.

Be careful. I'm a little concerned that you're going a wee bit fast here. It's a cool tank, because you can collect, but just be careful. Unless you are only housing them temporarily for observation.

Wow, I go away for a few days... :lol:

Well you know that it's as they say "When the cat is away ...... ;) :p :kana: :yahoo: "

I agree that the sarge does get rather large. The biggest that I seen here is about 4". We have schools of them where I dive. He will be going back one of these days though because he appears to be living up to his name :big_boss: and I always have had authority issues.

The snail is a bubble snail, I can't say it's other name. Hurts my head. Anyway you are correct that it eats worms, so guess who been hunting for worms. So far it seems to be happy.

So no more live stock for me for a while now. I've been putting my energy into getting a small sump/refurgium together. I'll start posting my progress on that soon. I'll start another thread, just need to know where???

Regards,
D

Post the thread in Saltwater hardware. In that section, you'll find an article I wrote about converting a hang on the back external power filter into a refugium.

Post the thread in Saltwater hardware. In that section, you'll find an article I wrote about converting a hang on the back external power filter into a refugium.
thanks, I'll do that. I read your HOB conversion, very interesting. We can get those filters here but they are pricey.

Regards,
D

thanks, I'll do that. I read your HOB conversion, very interesting. We can get those filters here but they are pricey.

Regards,
D

In the US the cost of one is significantly less than that of a Hang on the Back refugium. The only things that compare in affordability are the in tank refugiums, but they take up valuable real estate in small tanks. For your tank, either an Aquaclear 70 or even go for gusto and do the 110.

L

erm that slug creature thingy is a nudbranch and many eat coral but i dont think u have any not sure which species tho :good:
Yes you are correct. I don't have any corals but when I saw the size that these things can get to, I quickly released it back into the wild. I have found them at approx 15 to 20 cm long in the rock pools. The variety that I had seems to stay on or around a certain type of plant in the pools.

Regards,
D

erm that slug creature thingy is a nudbranch and many eat coral but i dont think u have any not sure which species tho :good:
Yes you are correct. I don't have any corals but when I saw the size that these things can get to, I quickly released it back into the wild. I have found them at approx 15 to 20 cm long in the rock pools. The variety that I had seems to stay on or around a certain type of plant in the pools.

Regards,
D

I hate nudibranchs. I've got some zoa-eating nudis in my 8g and I keeeeeeeel them whenever I see them. :angry:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back