Hello From South Africa

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
What's your lighting?

Just curious, have you id'ed the anemones yet? What are you feeding them?

L

What's your lighting?

L

Lighting. I'm running 2 fluorescent tubes that I got from the LFS. 1 white and 1 blue. I suppose that I should have kept the boxes to give more details. Sorry. :sad:

I plan to go to our local Aquarium to find out more about some of the critters that I have in my tank. I will report back to you :teacher:

oops, Forgot to tell you about feeding. I'm feeding the anemones small snails that I've removed from the shell. I've noticed that my shrimps stay away from them so would suppose that they're also on the food chain. :sick:

Regards,
D

Well lljdma06, you will sleep easy again because I am legal to collect inverts and fish for my tank. I got my permit today. :hooray:

What's your lighting?

L

Lighting. I'm running 2 fluorescent tubes that I got from the LFS. 1 white and 1 blue. I suppose that I should have kept the boxes to give more details. Sorry. :sad:

I plan to go to our local Aquarium to find out more about some of the critters that I have in my tank. I will report back to you :teacher:

oops, Forgot to tell you about feeding. I'm feeding the anemones small snails that I've removed from the shell. I've noticed that my shrimps stay away from them so would suppose that they're also on the food chain. :sick:

Regards,
D

The wattage should be listed on the bulb. Looks like from your description, you have a 10k and an actinic, normal Marine configuration.

The reason why I asked about the lighting is that there are two kinds of anemones running around. Some require high light to really do well. For others, light is unimportant. You need to know what kind of anemone you have, so great that you're going to see someone at the local aquarium.

Shrimps? What shrimps?

Well lljdma06, you will sleep easy again because I am legal to collect inverts and fish for my tank. I got my permit today. :hooray:

Well, I didn't want you to get arrested. Especially after I approved your friend request. I don't associate with people who do unlawful things! LOLOL, just teasing you.

This is, indeed, turning into a biotope, which is very cool. I love my biotope tank. I don't have permit to collect, but most LFS in Miami do local collecting.

As for heat, you may want to invest in a cooling fan as you shouldn't disrupt your photoperiod too much. Are you heating your tank with a heater? I don't run heater in Miami, only on the coldest days.

L

"As for heat, you may want to invest in a cooling fan as you shouldn't disrupt your photoperiod too much. Are you heating your tank with a heater? I don't run heater in Miami, only on the coldest days. "

I did think of that. Problem is that my budget requires me to buy food for the month. :sad: But I will see if I can do a DIY thing and NOT electrocute myself in the process. LOL.
The tubes that were recommended to me by the LFS and the ones I bought are both 15WATT. They do give off some heat but not to bad. I think it's more to do with the temp during our summer. I would imagine it's very similiar to Miami. Sometimes I think it would be better to go without clothing, trouble is you'de get arrested.
I'm not running a heater atm but I'll see what the temp does when it gets colder.

HAHA that's funny that you don't want to associate with a criminal. Me too. My conscience was really bugging me when you mentioned that I might be braking the law. I do quite a bit of deep sea fishing and have a permit for that but I never thought that I would need one to pick up things from the rocks. Our goverment :devil: like to get their dues from our pleasures in SA.

I have about 7 glass shrimps but they're very hard to photograph because they move around to much and they're transparent. They are amazing to watch though and they attack me if I put my hand in the water. This is very comical to my family who gather around to have a good laugh when I have to do something in the tank. :crazy:

I'll have to draw up an attendance register for you. I've decided that I'll be sticking with inverts and snails in this tank. It'll be a good representation of the rock pools on our coast line. :thumbs:

Regards,
D

"As for heat, you may want to invest in a cooling fan as you shouldn't disrupt your photoperiod too much. Are you heating your tank with a heater? I don't run heater in Miami, only on the coldest days. "

I did think of that. Problem is that my budget requires me to buy food for the month. :sad: But I will see if I can do a DIY thing and NOT electrocute myself in the process. LOL.
The tubes that were recommended to me by the LFS and the ones I bought are both 15WATT. They do give off some heat but not to bad. I think it's more to do with the temp during our summer. I would imagine it's very similiar to Miami. Sometimes I think it would be better to go without clothing, trouble is you'de get arrested.
I'm not running a heater atm but I'll see what the temp does when it gets colder.

HAHA that's funny that you don't want to associate with a criminal. Me too. My conscience was really bugging me when you mentioned that I might be braking the law. I do quite a bit of deep sea fishing and have a permit for that but I never thought that I would need one to pick up things from the rocks. Our goverment :devil: like to get their dues from our pleasures in SA.

I have about 7 glass shrimps but they're very hard to photograph because they move around to much and they're transparent. They are amazing to watch though and they attack me if I put my hand in the water. This is very comical to my family who gather around to have a good laugh when I have to do something in the tank. :crazy:

I'll have to draw up an attendance register for you. I've decided that I'll be sticking with inverts and snails in this tank. It'll be a good representation of the rock pools on our coast line. :thumbs:

Regards,
D

For now, even a standard house fan will help a bit. Or even running a ceiling fan.

I'm sorry your conscience was bugging you. It's the environmentally friendly thing to do as well. Hahaha! I think Government just likes getting their dues, no matter where you are!

An attendance roster would be very good, seeing as I'm not quite sure you've even cycled your tank yet. An invert only tank is very nice. I can also recommend some macro algae species. I'm sure they are also around the tide pools.

How cool does it get during Winter in your neck of the woods. I've having to use heaters in my picos now.

L

Regards,
D

For now, even a standard house fan will help a bit. Or even running a ceiling fan.

I'm sorry your conscience was bugging you. It's the environmentally friendly thing to do as well. Hahaha! I think Government just likes getting their dues, no matter where you are!

An attendance roster would be very good, seeing as I'm not quite sure you've even cycled your tank yet. An invert only tank is very nice. I can also recommend some macro algae species. I'm sure they are also around the tide pools.

How cool does it get during Winter in your neck of the woods. I've having to use heaters in my picos now.

L

The winter temp drops to between 10-20 degrees C here in winter. Our rainy season is summer so it gets very humid and sticky. Haha but you're from the capital of humidity so you'll understand. Our sea temp in winter can be anything from 14-17 degrees C so I'm not sure if because the tank is copying the real thing if I should let the temp drop that low.

I have seen evidence of diatoms but the snails are super quick at clearing it away. I have also noticed tiny white dots on the glass, what could that be?

I'm hoping to get to the local Aquarium today. just not sure how busy it's going to be on the waterfront with it being new year's eve. To many drunk people on the road this time of the year so I try to stay off the roads as much as possible.

Regards,
D

Well, did you go to the aquarium, did ya, did ya????

Yes but it was a complete waste of time. :-( I will find out if my LFS can help with the ID's.

Regards,
D

did you have fun at the aquarium and get to see pretty fishies?

Now that just sounds like you mocking me. :fun: I got very frustrated right at the entrance because the lady that I was asking for help didn't have a clue. I'm sure she must have worked in a fish and chip shop before she got this job. :angry: Talk about the wonders of job creation! Anyway they did have a very nice display in the entrance hall area and it had a name tag on it saying who was looking after it. SOOOO, now I must track down the target. :hey: :hey:

regards,
D

Yes but it was a complete waste of time. :-( I will find out if my LFS can help with the ID's.

Regards,
D

did you have fun at the aquarium and get to see pretty fishies?

Now that just sounds like you mocking me. :fun: I got very frustrated right at the entrance because the lady that I was asking for help didn't have a clue. I'm sure she must have worked in a fish and chip shop before she got this job. :angry: Talk about the wonders of job creation! Anyway they did have a very nice display in the entrance hall area and it had a name tag on it saying who was looking after it. SOOOO, now I must track down the target. :hey: :hey:

regards,
D

Then you didn't waste your time. What you do is call the aquarium and ask to speak to that person and see if you can send him the anemone pictures for id. I'm sure, actually, that he won't mind doing it, because it's not something boring.

L

Yesterday when I was feeding my critters I saw what looked like a little white blob flying around the tank at high speed. It was traveling to fast to take a pic but as I was reading Nemo's baby clownfish diary i see that she also mentions this little thing in her tank. What could it be? I do have some hermits and one small crab. Could it be a larvae from one of them? :cool:

Regards,
D

Yesterday when I was feeding my critters I saw what looked like a little white blob flying around the tank at high speed. It was traveling to fast to take a pic but as I was reading Nemo's baby clownfish diary i see that she also mentions this little thing in her tank. What could it be? I do have some hermits and one small crab. Could it be a larvae from one of them? :cool:

Regards,
D

Could be a copepod, could also be larva. I am still dying to see what kind of hermits you have. :)

L

So after many hours of trying to capture some photos of the more elusive inhabitants, I have some results. Please excuse the quality of my phone's camera.

DSC00624.jpg

Crab

DSC00620.jpg

Chiton with little tufts

DSC00616.jpg

Glass Shrimp

DSC00609.jpg

Yellow Banded Hermit

DSC00625.jpg

FTS as of the 7 Jan 2012

It seems that the crab and hermits have been harrasing the anemones. I'm not sure who the culprit is because I've seem both causing trouble. I've removed the red anemone because the crabs have been nipping it's "fingers" off. The other 2 have retreated into somes caves. I have also removed the crabs and put them in a tank on their own. I think I will most likely release them back into the wild until I can do some more research.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back