Hello from Northern Ireland

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Boerboel

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first time on any fish forum. Iā€™m totally new to fish having bought a fluval flex 34liter/9gallon for my son for Christmas. Itā€™s a very aesthetically pleasing tank. I added water, treated it, let it cycle for 2 weeks before Christmas and then added a few fish then some more yesterday. Itā€™s all artificial plants and ornaments as I hadnā€™t time or the knowledge to be able to plant and cycle it in time for Christmas.

Iā€™m here to learn about aquascaping best plants for beginners as I plan to buy a fluval flex 57 litre/15 gallon which will be a planted tank and I will eventually plant my 34 litre flex too and use it maybe for a sorority of female bettas

Attachments

• 68F14149-E965-4E90-880C-65687015D53B.jpeg
    68F14149-E965-4E90-880C-65687015D53B.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 49
Hello and welcome to the forum. There are several plants that you can just add to your tank that absorb what they need from the water. Hornwort and water sprite are examples. You can let them float or plant them in the gravel. Java fern and Jave moss are ones you should attach to rocks or wood. Moss balls you can just let sit on the gravel. When you start getting into plants that get what they need from their roots like Argentine sword you can use root tabs.

Hello and welcome to the forum. There are several plants that you can just add to your tank that absorb what they need from the water. Hornwort and water sprite are examples. You can let them float or plant them in the gravel. Java fern and Jave moss are ones you should attach to rocks or wood. Moss balls you can just let sit on the gravel. When you start getting into plants that get what they need from their roots like Argentine sword you can use root tabs.

thanks for your reply. Iā€™ve looked into those plants. What substrate is best to use that I can purchase in the uk. I assume I will have to remove my fish and put into another tank for a few weeks while I plant my flex and let it cycle?

I just plant them in my gravel, they are simple, no need to remove fish. You can use sand to if you prefer. Do not need to add any soil, they absorb what they need from the water. You can buy additives like Flourish if you want but your fish provide most of what these plants need.

Play sand is ideal for fish tanks. It is highly refined and smooth though it often contains a lot of dust which needs to be washed out. Sand is a must if you have or intend bottom dwellers. Do you have Argos or B & Q in NI?

Just a heads up though - 34 litres (9 gallons) is too small for a betta sorority. You need a minimum of 4 bettas, and I would use nothing smaller than a 60 litre, 60 cm long tank. But it is perfect for a single betta, male or female.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back