Hello from Gateshead

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LostBear

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello all! My husband and I (not - I'm not "her" :)) Have just gone back to fish keeping (indoors) after a break of nearly 30 years. We had a community tank which went the distance when we moved house - as it was a long journey we re-homed our fish, and just took the tank with us. Before it was restocked again the kids won two fairground goldfish and they got our 4' tank as their palatial new home. They managed to outgrow it, and husband made a pond in the garden for them. They died within a few weeks of each other a little over a year ago, but we'd had them over 25 years.

Husband decided to set the tank for tropicals again, but we managed to drop it! (The dogs helped with this glassy disaster by getting under our feet - our fault for not shutting them out. We are therefore starting again with a much smaller tank (already begetting this bit) and I'll be on here for your help and advice.

Looking forward very much to getting to know you all.

Welcome! I also ended up with a pond for my goldfish. They are only 4 years though. I applaud you in 25 years. Look forward to seeing you around the forum. :)

Welcome! I also ended up with a pond for my goldfish. They are only 4 years though. I applaud you in 25 years. Look forward to seeing you around the forum. :)

Thank you for the welcome.

Yes - I never imagined we'd have them so long - they got to quite a size!

everybody said - "Just leave them in the tank. Goldfish don't grow to any bigger than the tank allows", so we did a bit of reading and learned about "stunting", and were horrified that we might already have been torturing them for some time. Cue digging the pond.

Thank you for the welcome.

Yes - I never imagined we'd have them so long - they got to quite a size!

everybody said - "Just leave them in the tank. Goldfish don't grow to any bigger than the tank allows", so we did a bit of reading and learned about "stunting", and were horrified that we might already have been torturing them for some time. Cue digging the pond.
Mine is only a garden pound if 150 gallons but they seem happy. One is about a foot long now. I only have 3. :)

Oooooh! You're in my neck of the woods! Welcome to the forum.
:hi:
Thank you for the welcome, Linz. Lovely to online meet a fellow North-Eastener. I'm a Mackem married to a Geordie. :lol:

(Our families came round to accepting the situation eventually . . . )

I only have 12. But I've had them for 16 years so my 1500 gallon pond is pretty full :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back