Hello from East Texas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jackhorn01

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I'm Jack from East Texas. Little background info. I grew up in Southwest Louisiana. Served close to 10 years in the Army and now work in East Texas as a paramedic. I have had aquariums off and on my whole life and have always loved it. I am recently able to get back into the hobby after several years taking a break due to life. I can see alot of things have changed with current recommendations on certain things. In the past, I have always just fed my fish flakes and dropping in the occasional bottom feeder tablet for the guys down there. Although, being " wiser " ( not older lol ) now, I have researched more in depth and realize I have missed alot over the years with there being so much more science to this that can make the tank happier and healthier. I have never had major issues with stress or loosing fish, but I'm the kind of person that wants everything to be as happy and healthy as I can make it. That being said, I'll explain what set up I am starting with / plans for it. Advice from more seasoned hobbyists is greatly appreciated.
So, I am starting with a 10 gallon to get back into the swing of things. More of these and much bigger ones will follow. This first " starter " tank is a basic rectangular 10 gallon aquarium. Currently, I have 2 plastic plants in it. Didn't want to spend money on any fancy hiding places or decorations yet, as I am going to put live plants in it in a couple more weeks. I will look at some kind of log, cave rock, etc... to add to it for anyone to take a break, hide etc after I decide on plants and get them all arranged. Currently, I have a cory catfish, a couple platties, and neon tetras. Everyone is vigorous and happy, eating well etc. And I think we are off to a good start. One of the main things I would like to hear from some of you more seasoned peeps is feeding. What I've done in the past is feed flakes twice a day ( morning and evening ) as much as they will eat in about 2 minutes, and also dropping a bottom feeder tablet in for the cory ( I have to have at least one of these in every tank just to check the box, I love their personalities ) every other day. Researching more, and learning more about their needs / happiness and wanting to give them more of a feel for how they live in the wild, as I said live plants will be coming soon. But, back to the feeding, I have branched out and am learning more about bloodworms, brine shrimp, other foods that they love and are good for them. The kind of tanks I like are multi species tanks. I like the natural look of different things doing their thing in different areas kind of like a natural ecosystem kind of deal. That being said with the kind of set up and goals I have explained here, from what I have read so far, the general consensus for feeding this type of tank would be something along the lines of continuing to feed them twice a day what they will consume in 2-3 minutes, bottom feeder food for the cory ie tablet/wafer/pellet approx. every other day, and substituting some type of frozen food for 1 of their daily feedings 3 times a week. I was thinking blood worms would be a good choice since after reading about the fish I have, they all seem to do well on them. Do some of you more experienced people think this is a solid plan? If so, I have a ? How many approx. blood worms are in 1 frozen cube, from what I read way too much to put even half of one in the tank for the few fish I mentioned that I have. Maybe chop it in 1/4 and defrost that and see how they do with it? Any critique, comment, or advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Welcome jackhorne01! Thank you for your service to our Great Nation! And thanks for your continued service to our population as a Para!
Here is my take: The 'food fairy' does not show up twice daily in nature. Given the small size of your tank, I would carefully feed your fish and test your water parameters frequently. Bloodworms? Sure, but cut down the amount to just a few for starters. Again welcome!

Welcome to TFF, nice to see another fellow Texan join up...

Welcome Jack from east Texas... :hi:
Well, it was a good read about yourself. And I encourage every bit of research you're able to do.

Welcome. I had to got look up east Texas, I have only been to San Anonio on business. About the size of England and encompasses the major cities I guess. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back