Hello Friends

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You plant enough plants in your tank to absorb the ammonia created by your fish. You first establish your planted tank which takes around two weeks or so and then add fish in small groups . I have tetras which are small so I add 6 at a time like 6 neon tetra and wait a week and test for ammonia if 0 I add another shoal of 6 fish. With larger fish you add fewer fish. What you want is for the plants to absorb the fish waste (ammonia) and CO2 they produce and the fish get oxygen and water free of ammonia, it is a natural cycle that does not depend on bacteria forming. You want fast growing floating plants line anacharis, water sprite and hornwort to do it.
I am nearing the end of silent cycle. I have seen some great growth from my anacharis and water sprite (thanks @PheonixKingZ, @Retired Viking and @Carolyn N for the recommendations). I will post a comparable photo later today so that you can see the growth.

I am testing the water daily at the moment to ensure that the water parameters are stable. Which they are. I had a slight issue with high Nitrate (40 ppm). But Nitrate has reduced to 20 ppm and most recently 10 ppm.

I am planning on buying fish for the tank this weekend. Is it advised to carry out a water change before adding fish?

I would personally do a water change. Just to remove any unnecessary/unwanted things in your water. I always do.

No problem! Keep us updated. :good: :fish:

Todays water parameters were:

pH: 7.6
High Range pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 10

Below is a comparable photo. The top photo was taken just now and the bottom photo was taken 26th April.

2D6225C2-BF25-4E63-99C2-70E3CB7BC29E.JPG

Would you agree that the tank is now cycled?

If so, I'd really appreciate some advice on my first fish. My water hardness is 18dh/320ppm. Is it wise to get algae eaters initially? Or will there not be enough algae for them to feed on? Guppies are high on the list too for obvious reasons.

Based on your recommendation, how many fish should I look to add?

I'm not sure if anyone is still following the progress, but I thought I'd update you anyway.

Today I added a small piece of driftwood, 10kg of dragon stone, an Anubias Nana, Anubias Nana Bonsai, Flame Moss and a black background.

I'm off to get my first fish tomorrow. I decided on 4-6 Guppies, I honestly can't wait!!

Thank you to everyone who has helped me up to this point. Your advice and opinions genuinely are really appreciated.

7th May 2020.jpg

It looks good!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back