Hello fellow fish folks - I'm starting at zero again after a long stretch.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

enricosonic

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm returning to this hobby after quite awhile and I'd appreciate the knowledge this forum has to offer.

My background with fish is not vast but is as follows: as a 12 year old I started with a 20 gallon tank, this led to a 30 and ultimately a 55, I liked that size and stuck with it for 20 years. A house sold and other factors had me parting ways with the hobby entirely. Another 20 years has since past.

Fast forward to this past Christmas, my youngest daughter got a 10 gallon tank "complete setup" and it has been a crap sandwich from the get-go. I'm stunned at how cheaply made each individual component has been. I've replaced a few things but I realize now, I want to get another big tank. 55/75 gal - I don't yet know. I could use a resource like you guys.

Cheers,
Eric

Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to fishkeeping! And yeah, the "setup" packages are almost never well done, my first tank was one of those and the filter gave out before it was even cycled and the heater was way underpowered for the tank size. My 55 gallon tank is my favorite, even over the 80 and 90 gallon tanks. It is just big enough to get some cool fish, but not so big as to be impossible to move easily.

Welcome Eric!

55 gallons is a good size for most fish except for the larger fish (6/7 inches and above).

Do you know what is your tap water GH, pH? It will help you to decide soft or hard water fish that you can keep.
You can check the website of you tap water company to find out the average GH, pH throughout the year.

Thanks for the welcome. It’s been a difficult stretch here as a major bridge has been down and local fish selection is limited to Petco and the like. We picked up two clown loaches which came with ICH at no extra charge. ;-( It was very difficult to notice in its early stage to be fair.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back