Hello everyone!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

eeks_fishes

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :D I'm very excited to be here, and I am currently in the planning stages of a tank. Right now I'm full of dreams for all the fish I would like to keep, but I have so many ideas (and probably too many for my house to hold, haha). I'm fairly new to the hobby, so I'm really looking forward to poking around the forum and having a place to come to with any questions I might have. It's nice to make everyone's acquaintance, it's been a while since I've been in a proper forum setting!

:fish:Welcome to the Fish Family :fish:

We're glad to have you here, it sounds like the fish bug has bitten you, and now there is no escape.

So let's hear all about your tank? how big is it, what fish are you thinking of stocking it with? Maybe we can help you with suggestions and compatabilities. I'm glad you've come here before buying all your fish, it can be quite confusing at times!

Any questions you go right ahead and ask, we're always willing to help, I don't think there's a single question this community can't answer!

you and me both, last time I used forums I was in high school! it's weird to be back, but this community is a good one! I hope you enjoy it here!

:fish:Welcome to the Fish Family :fish:

We're glad to have you here, it sounds like the fish bug has bitten you, and now there is no escape.

So let's hear all about your tank? how big is it, what fish are you thinking of stocking it with? Maybe we can help you with suggestions and compatabilities. I'm glad you've come here before buying all your fish, it can be quite confusing at times!

Any questions you go right ahead and ask, we're always willing to help, I don't think there's a single question this community can't answer!

you and me both, last time I used forums I was in high school! it's weird to be back, but this community is a good one! I hope you enjoy it here!

Thank you for such a warm welcome! ^_^

Right now I have an empty 10g tank, but I've been considering going ahead and also getting a 20g so that I can use the 10g as a quarantine tank. I think I'm going to set up a betta tank first! I had been reading other places that you can sometimes have tankmates with bettas, but I've been reading through the forum here and it looks like it's super not recommended so I've been rethinking that.

In the future I would like to get a tank around 125g and stock it with angelfish and ropefish and maybe a couple other compatible fish for the two. I absolutely love eels, but I don't think it's particularly realistic for me to get one since they seem to be for more avanced aquarists and I'm trying to just get comfortable with tropical tanks before I even think about venturing into the saltwater side.

It's nice to have a place on the internet again that isn't just social media!

Welcome.
Find out your water hardness before you do anything else. Even before buying a tank.

Thank you!

I hadn't heard that tip before, it's good to know! I already have an (empty) 10 g tank, but no fish yet. I will definitely test my water parameters!

Hardness is something most shops and websites don't mention. We should aim to keep fish which originate in water with roughly the same hardness as our tap water. This is because fish which come from hard water have evolved so that their bodies excrete the excess minerals they take in from the water, and in soft water they still continue to excrete them but with few minerals in soft water they eventually suffer calcium depletion and this stresses them so they become sick more easily. Soft water fish have evolved to hang on to the few minerals they take in from the water; when they are put in hard water their bodies still retain the minerals and they get calcium deposits in their kidneys which shortens their lives.

Before buying a hardness tester, look on your water provider's website. You need a number and the unit of measurement.

Thank you for such a warm welcome! ^_^

You are most welcome :)

quote]Right now I have an empty 10g tank, but I've been considering going ahead and also getting a 20g so that I can use the 10g as a quarantine tank. I think I'm going to set up a betta tank first! I had been reading other places that you can sometimes have tankmates with bettas, but I've been reading through the forum here and it looks like it's super not recommended so I've been rethinking that.[/quote]

It's always good to have a quarantine tank, obviously for when fish are sick injured or are being aggresive. Also they're really good for putting in new fish to ensure that they are healthy before introducing them in to your main tank. You don't want to be bringing nastys to all your other fish!

You'll find alot of people who have community tanks with the Betta as the center-piece, although some have found they can "get-away" with it, it's really not ideal. Betta's are solitary and like to be by themselves, also they're territorial and can attack other species without warning. I'm glad you're looking at alternatives now, it's good to see you doing research :)

In the future I would like to get a tank around 125g and stock it with angelfish and ropefish and maybe a couple other compatible fish for the two. I absolutely love eels, but I don't think it's particularly realistic for me to get one since they seem to be for more avanced aquarists and I'm trying to just get comfortable with tropical tanks before I even think about venturing into the saltwater side.

Your dream is a 125g tank today,the next thing you know is you'll have about 5 tanks and be looking to install a sea life exhibit in your house! Ropefish are so cool, The ones I've seen are so active, then the next moment they're gone from sight, hiding like ninja's. It's good to have a target, eventually (in about 50 years) I'd like to have a shark tank, though I've heard they're tanks need to be huge and they're really expensive to feed!

It's nice to hear you're wanting to gain experience before venturing into saltwater, but truth be told we have saltwater experts here too! So they'll be willing to answer any questions you may have for the future!

It's nice to have a place on the internet again that isn't just social media!
I agree, it's good to have you here!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back