Hello! Any Fellow Oscar Fans Out There?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KansasPrincess724

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello! This'll be my first post on this forum, I'm looking forward to being a part of the community! :)

Now, I am not new to the fish hobby (I know quite a bit, but I'll admit I've got PLENTY of room to grow), but I am new to Oscar fish keeping. I have a little Oscar fish who is the size of about a tangerine right now. His name is Oliver. :) Anyhow, I plan on getting him two tankmates. Another Oscar (once I can find a suitable healthy one) and a bottom feeder since they love to make a royal mess of their food. For now the three will go in a 55g for about a year (or less if they grow quickly, which I'm sure they will), then everybody will move to a 125g where they will live out the rest of their lives. So, my question to you, is what bottom feeder would do well with my Oscars? I know it may be selfish of me or a bit inconvenient, but I only want one. SO... Clown Loaches won't do (or any kind of loach, I am under the impression they are all very sociable), and I do not like Pictus Catfish. I actually had one in my tank with my Oliver for a bit, and the thing scared him nearly half to death. Much too fast moving, I think. I was thinking a Rainbow Shark?? My Oliver is not an aggressive Oscar, either. Very curious, but not aggressive. I actually do have a clown loach right now, (I was unaware that they were SO SOCIAL that it was pretty much inhumane to keep them alone, so I'm bringing him back to the lfs today), and Oliver likes to cuddle with it. I'm not sure if "cuddling" is the right word, but the clown loach likes to swim underneath him and he will swim over and nestle against it's side. It's the weirdest thing!

ANYWAY. :) What bottom feeder would do well with two Oscars?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

Hi :), personally if you are getting a second oscar go straight to the 125g tank dont bother with the 55g. Oscars can grow at 1"/month under the right conditions so within 12 months you can have a 12" fish.

One of my oscars lives with a group of clown loach, he likes to snooze with them too. My other oscar's "best pal" is a feather fin squeaker catfish (Synodontis eupterus), they have a very weird relationship, the catfish loved tickling the oscar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji12kLXJ4UU&list=UUc-e-TNHmPOsRHtRNuTXE7A

I dont know. I have tried tank makes for my oscars and they are just not happy with them. But these are especially moody oscars. But i do recomend you have them at the 125g if posssible. They do grow fast. Still pretty cool fish to keep. Its funny to watch people try to put their fingers on the tank

Thank you both for your info! Aaaand... I'm gonna do the 55g for a bit, not against your recommendations, and I understand what you're saying and agree with you both, but we have to save up for it.  
innocent.gif

Star that video is hilarious!! Is that Chops?

Wills

The one in the video is Rusty, I had him before I was given Chops, but I do still have Chops, who is still as naughty as ever.

Hello there welcome aboard! :)

Oscars will always have a special place in my heart..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back