Hello and confused

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

HappyKnitter

Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon tank with 1 oscar. My daughter had a tank with a blood parrot and a jewel fish. They moved to a new apartment and no pets allowed. So we put her fishes with my fish in the 55 gallon . All was well until this morning when I found the blood parrot fanning eggs in a rock. Is it possible?

haha, well!

I know pretty much nothing about fish breeding, but I do know that BP's are a hybrid species and as such can cross with some other cichlids. If either the oscar or the juwel cichlid is a male, it is plausible that the eggs may have been fertilized by them. However, the more likely scenario is that the eggs are infertile, and will turn white in a few days and the fish will either eat them or you will need to remove them before they foul the water.

By the way, make sure with the increased fish population in the 55 that the fish have enough places to hide and your filtration can keep up with the increased bioload. Some rugged floating plants may also be able to withstand abuse from cichlids, and will help keep your water parameters good. What are your nitrates reading at? What is your water change schedule?

Depending on the personality of the oscar and the BP there's a chance you may run into some aggression issues in the 55, so you may want to have a plastic storage tote, heater and a sponge filter on hand in case you need to set up an isolation tank real quick. But apart from having those emergency provisions on hand, that bridge can be crossed if/when you get to it.

Pictures of the tank/fish? also welcome to TFF!

Most reactions

Back