Hello all

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Melodie

Reaction score
What a lovely forum you have here! I'm very new to the hobby, so new that I don't even have my aquarium set up yet lol.

When I was a kid, I had a betta that lived in a bowl. Like many people doing the same, I had no idea at the time that my poor fish was probably suffering in there... although something always felt off about it to me. It wasn't until several years later that I learned that they need so much more space, and filters, heaters, everything most other fish need. After that I vowed to myself that if I ever decided to get another fish, I was going to do it properly right from the beginning.

Now here I am, in the process of setting up a 9 gallon tank for a betta. I'm even planning on planting it with some super easy beginner plants, and maybe i'll get a snail too! Is that too ambitious for a newbie? I'm pretty sure it'll work out ok, but i'm a chronic over-thinker so really i'm just here to find experienced people to help me make sure i'm doing it right :)

What a lovely forum you have here! I'm very new to the hobby, so new that I don't even have my aquarium set up yet lol.

When I was a kid, I had a betta that lived in a bowl. Like many people doing the same, I had no idea at the time that my poor fish was probably suffering in there... although something always felt off about it to me. It wasn't until several years later that I learned that they need so much more space, and filters, heaters, everything most other fish need. After that I vowed to myself that if I ever decided to get another fish, I was going to do it properly right from the beginning.

Now here I am, in the process of setting up a 9 gallon tank for a betta. I'm even planning on planting it with some super easy beginner plants, and maybe i'll get a snail too! Is that too ambitious for a newbie? I'm pretty sure it'll work out ok, but i'm a chronic over-thinker so really i'm just here to find experienced people to help me make sure i'm doing it right :)
Welcome Melodie!
I'm new to forum too and am setting up a 5 gal - also with plants. Was planning on a betta initially but have decided on different types of neon tetras instead to start. Maybe add a betta later. 😊

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

A 9/10 gallon tank with a small filter and some floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) should be fine for a male Betta splendens (Siamese fighting fish).

Try to get an aquarium that is long and wide, rather than a tall narrow tank. Fish swim left to right and not so much up and down.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

A 9/10 gallon tank with a small filter and some floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) should be fine for a male Betta splendens (Siamese fighting fish).

Try to get an aquarium that is long and wide, rather than a tall narrow tank. Fish swim left to right and not so much up and down.
Thanks for the plant suggestions :) I actually already got the aquarium, its a 9 gallon Fluval Flex.

Hi, nice to have you aboard...
A 9 gallon tank should be okay for a betta and a snail.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back