Hello Ads!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rolleyes.gif
that guy.

My children dont want to meet Chinese women...they are quite happy for me to speak to the woman behind the counter to order them a Curry on a Friday evening....:(

Which reminds me my car insurance needs renewing and I really should think about a tummy tuck.

OH #40##, I just got an ad trying to sell me anal beads.

I SWEAR I haven't looked at anything like that before. It must have been my brother!

UGHHH, Why is google so cleaver? :/

Well...I have received zero ads that I would consider family-unsafe and very few that are even outside my range of interests (and all of those have obvious demographic ties, even if the stereotypes are irrelevant to me), but I am also very careful about what I type into search engines and particularly what I search for while logged into things like facebook. The vast majority of ads I get on the web these days are too specific to not have been picked up from things like facebook, amazon, and so on. However, that is also good for me, since it means I don't get random stuff about mail-order brides. I see AdChoices is something at least one other person is getting ads from. AdChoices is an example of an attempt at behavior-based ad selection; Microsoft has some info available on how that works and it's worth reading. If you are seeing really strange stuff repeatedly from things like AdChoices and aren't willing to go the adblock rout (I haven't, because it messed up other features I needed on some sites), you may want to clear cookies, be more careful about what you search for while logged into other sites that track browsing history, and possibly have a chat about the issue with any other people who use the computer. You can also be somewhat active about trying to control what categories of ads you see on the web by putting in likes/dislikes on MS's tool that allows you to customize the behavior of AdChoices (the "my interests" tool) and doing similarly for other ad sytems like Google's. I saw some degree of impact from Google's options when I fiddled with those, but I've only just tried MS's tool so I don't know how effective that one is. If it's working, I should be seeing things for segways or marionettes soon.

I'm not trying to support the ads with this post; I really don't care whether they are present or not. I'm just trying to offer some comments on how the ad selection happens with some companies and suggestions on how others might control what they see if something like adblock isn't in use already.

Well...I have received zero ads that I would consider family-unsafe and very few that are even outside my range of interests (and all of those have obvious demographic ties, even if the stereotypes are irrelevant to me), but I am also very careful about what I type into search engines and particularly what I search for while logged into things like facebook. The vast majority of ads I get on the web these days are too specific to not have been picked up from things like facebook, amazon, and so on. However, that is also good for me, since it means I don't get random stuff about mail-order brides. I see AdChoices is something at least one other person is getting ads from. AdChoices is an example of an attempt at behavior-based ad selection; Microsoft has some info available on how that works and it's worth reading. If you are seeing really strange stuff repeatedly from things like AdChoices and aren't willing to go the adblock rout (I haven't, because it messed up other features I needed on some sites), you may want to clear cookies, be more careful about what you search for while logged into other sites that track browsing history, and possibly have a chat about the issue with any other people who use the computer. You can also be somewhat active about trying to control what categories of ads you see on the web by putting in likes/dislikes on MS's tool that allows you to customize the behavior of AdChoices (the "my interests" tool) and doing similarly for other ad sytems like Google's. I saw some degree of impact from Google's options when I fiddled with those, but I've only just tried MS's tool so I don't know how effective that one is. If it's working, I should be seeing things for segways or marionettes soon.

I'm not trying to support the ads with this post; I really don't care whether they are present or not. I'm just trying to offer some comments on how the ad selection happens with some companies and suggestions on how others might control what they see if something like adblock isn't in use already.

So are you implying that members must have searched for a thai bride or a chinese lady? :rolleyes: :angry:

I seriously doubt that anyone in my house has been looking for that. This is my personal computer that only I use (and as a woman, i really have no use for a mail order wife) and the only other person that gets on this computer is my son to play his learning games, and I doubt he has interest in mail order brides either.

I seriously doubt that anyone in my house has been looking for that. This is my personal computer that only I use (and as a woman, i really have no use for a mail order wife) and the only other person that gets on this computer is my son to play his learning games, and I doubt he has interest in mail order brides either.

You never know, he may do... :hey: :dunno:

Wow guys. Sorry for trying to offer suggestions after reading at least one post that suggested more than one user on a computer and trying to explain what can result in weird stuff with behavior-related ad companies. I'm a computer scientist and have been to many talks and presentations relating to how this kind of software works, since it is an area of active research with a lot of money behind the development of algorithms for finding ads. I was trying to help, but I guess I will leave this section alone instead if that's the mood here.

yeah i often search for 'local slags' on my PC, so does my missus, maybe the children as well.

tff3.jpg

It really is pathetic...

Most reactions

trending

Back