HELLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!!!&#

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

7chanaa

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have layers of greenish black algae all over the place and i realised dat my yellow polyps were dying off. wots da cause n cure. :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

Would love to try and help but need more info on your tank.
What size is it?
How long has it been up and running?
What exactly do you have in the tank?
Have you tested the water parameters?
What is the temp in the tank?
Has the temp been fluctuating?
What kind of lights do you have?
How long are they on?

I think you get my point.... repost your info and we will try and help.

Hazmat :)

like hazmat said, we will need as much info as possable for us to help you.

ste :)

Sounds like its in a window, siphen the substraight and move the tank away from direct sunlight. Do a water change and I bet the problem goes away.

Sounds more to me like cyanobacteria. I'm assuming you have a sandbed? If you take a turkey baster, does it lift up in sheets?

As for cause, that's where the info is needed. If this is a new tank (under a year) it is part of a process most everyone eventually goes through at some point. It will go away on its own, usually, slowly. But you need to remove what you can.

Lots of ideas on what exacerbates it. Some say insufficient circulation. So that is one parameter you also need to post. I had a nasty bloom with no dead spots in the tank so I disputed this point to those on RC who insisted circulation was the problem, for me increasing circulation on the worst areas did nothing. But for many it is rumored that does solve it.

Some say too much lighting, others say too little lighting, still others say changes in lighting. You get the idea. What is your lighting and has it changed lately?

Others say decaying sandbed with insufficient crew. All say you need an aggressive sand-sifting crew (fighting conchs are absolute best, one per 20G or so).

Fighting conchs eat cyano. Various other critters are rumored to eat it some. I witnessed an emerald crab of mine gobbling it up one day, but don't count on that.

Some swear by Red Slime Remover, No-Cyano, Chemi-Clean. I tried all, none did a blasted thing.

When my problem was kicked I had taken a number of steps to effect that outcome and am not sure what was the defining one:
1) Got a detritivore kit to boost my pod and worm population
2) Got cups of sand from 4 or 5 tanks from the RC club near me to re-charge the sandbed
3) Got a couple new pieces of extremely cured and live rock to help with #3
4) Added Microbelift Special Blend as per instructions for established tanks

As far as I'm concerned, all 4 steps were needed and beneficial, and the cost was not high. $75 for the kit, the sand was free though I did buy frags from many, rock was about $20, Special Blend $6.

Read on cyano to make sure that's what you have and then decided which step you need/are willing to try first but use a baster to suck out as much as you can as the first step.

Thank you for your replies. The tank is less than a year old. I noticed that this problem started once I intruduced the actinic light (D&D T5), previously I only had Aqua Blue Plus (D&D T5). The tank is sutiated away from direct sunlight. Tank size 55 gallons, Prizm Skimmer, Ehiem external filter, lots circulation.

I will try switching off Actinic light as the increase in light may not be suitable for bright light and may promote algae. Will gets some pods and worms. All other fish appear to be doing ok.

Aran

ok odds are high that it is a cyano bloom... the test is tring to lift some out... if it is sheet-like, that's what it is and I recommend following some treatment plan form the various ones outlined above.

One of the earliest types of bacteria are the cyanobacteria. Fossil evidence indicates that these bacteria existed approximately 3.3 billion years ago and were the first oxygen producing evolving phototropic organisms. They are responsible for the initial conversion of the earth’s atmosphere from an anoxic (state without oxygen) to an oxic (with oxygen) state. Being the first to carry out oxygenic photosynthesis, they were able to convert carbon dioxide into oxygen playing a major role in oxygenating the atmosphere.
New tanks usually go through this in the first year, all of mine have, but I have never had one go through it twice.
Man-o-man copy and paste makes me seem smart. :blink:

RamJet said:
One of the earliest types of bacteria are the cyanobacteria. Fossil evidence indicates that these bacteria existed approximately 3.3 billion years ago and were the first oxygen producing evolving phototropic organisms. They are responsible for the initial conversion of the earth’s atmosphere from an anoxic (state without oxygen) to an oxic (with oxygen) state. Being the first to carry out oxygenic photosynthesis, they were able to convert carbon dioxide into oxygen playing a major role in oxygenating the atmosphere.
New tanks usually go through this in the first year, all of mine have, but I have never had one go through it twice.
Man-o-man copy and paste makes me seem smart. :blink:
:rofl: I didn't think you could type that off the top of your head! :lol:

7chanaa: the question suggests you haven't done your research on reef tanks. Read up, or you can expect problems to multiply! Get a good book, or read the articles on one of the reef-focused forums.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back