Heating water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Weimargirl01

Reaction score
Hello,
How do you heat your water for water changes? My tap water is a bit on the hard side so I use filtered water with better results. What's a good way to heat room temperature water to match tank water?

Thanks in advance....

I tweak my faucet temp and measure with a Thermapen (best digital thermometer on the market for cooking BTW).

Since you are filtering water, I watched a video where the person filled a 55 g trash can with water, heated it with an aquarium heater, and then used a pond pump to to fill when heated. Others will likely chime in on weather pre-heating is necessary. If you are not dumping super cold water in, the change will be gradual and likely not shock the fish. During my WC today, I did not preheat on the hopes that it will cause a spawn. I added 67 deg water to 77 deg tank (50% WC) and it ended up at around 72 deg over a period of 30 min or so.

Any container that will hold the amount of freshwater for the change out, whether it's a 5 gal. bucket, an ice chest or a clean brute trash can will work. Place a aquarium heater in it along with a small circulation pump. The water movement from the pump will help heat up the water evenly.
I heat up my water for change out in a brute 32 gallon trash can that I only use for water change outs. I normally start heating up my water the night before I'm ready to do the wc. That way it's ready to go first thing in the morning.
Hope this helps.

I tweak my faucet temp and measure with a Thermapen (best digital thermometer on the market for cooking BTW).

Since you are filtering water, I watched a video where the person filled a 55 g trash can with water, heated it with an aquarium heater, and then used a pond pump to to fill when heated. Others will likely chime in on weather pre-heating is necessary. If you are not dumping super cold water in, the change will be gradual and likely not shock the fish. During my WC today, I did not preheat on the hopes that it will cause a spawn. I added 67 deg water to 77 deg tank (50% WC) and it ended up at around 72 deg over a period of 30 min or so.
Great thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back