Heating cables

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

whacky

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Im going to be setting up a planted tank and was wondering if any one uses a heater cable, or if they can tell me if they are worth the money. They seem a bit costly to me.

While im here im going to put a layer of fertilzer under the substrate has any one got any reccomendations???

Thanks guys and gals

I have heard several bad things about these heating cables. Like they have a tendancy to only work when they want to, they shock you when your hand goes in the water if they get scratched by the gravel. The idea has merrit but I wouldn't use them.

By a layer of ferilizer you mean what???? I'm hoping you are talking about Laterite, Flourite, that type of stuff. I can only get Laterite where I live so I use that. I would however prefure to use Flourite in my tanks. It's just a much better quality substraite additive. It also gets better results than the Laterite does. Rose

Sorry i didnt make myself to clear, yes i do mean something like laterite. What im thinking of is a layer of this on the bottom of the tank and then my substrate on top of that.

Ok heating cable sounds wise to give them a miss, they seemed a bit pricey for what they say they do any way.

Can any one reccomend a CO2 kit for a 500ltr (100gal) tank i reckon this would be a better investment than the heating cable.

As for a CO2 hook up you may or maynot need it. It all depends on the lighting and the plant types you are going to put in it. I have never put CO2 into any of my tanks except for some liquid CO2 I buy in a bottle. Rose

If your going to add fish to the tank(obviously) it would be wise to try without the CO2 to start. using the gas especialy in a 100g tank is tricky not to mention expensive unless you've got some old air tanks/scuba gear lying about. best to start on a small one till you've mastered the flow of gas etc if you have to use it.

Thats my problem i dont do small, the choice is 60gal or 100gal both fairly large tanks!

The CO2 is something i will be adding later on i just want to researh it now, after all, when i all the plants are dying cos there aint enough CO2 isnt the time to start reading about it.

K. point taken I'll dig out a couple of articles for you. Are you sure it's lack of CO2 though and not anything else missing?

As yet i havent got the tank planted im just getting all the information i can before making a decision. As you said CO2 can be expensive and im just trying to decided wheter or not to keep the cash or spend it on summut else. If i spend it and then realise i need it i will be stuck!!

Hows this for a plan then, get the tank up and running and just wait to see how the plants go,

I have a 46g with live plants and I don't have CO2 reactors and what not. I just use CO2 liquid from Seachem. My plants are doing just fine. I would start with your lighting. Not enough lighting will kill your plants faster than lack of CO2 will. A majority of the time lighting is the limiting factor in planted tanks. Rose

Rose has a very good point. And if you are curious about CO2, just try a home made unit first, and judge by those results on how many bucks you want to pony up for a full blown set up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back