Heating Betta Tanks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TomCul

Reaction score
I have recently been planning to try and breed some betta fish (Siamese fighting fish) and I need some small tanks/ nano cubes for the fry. As you probably know, bettas are tropical fish so they cannot survive in cold water but most heaters don't fit in small tanks. Does anyone know how to do this and, if so, can you tell me? Thanks

There are small heater that can be purchased fairly easily. Usually online searches will come up trumps.

Of course it depends on your budget and size of tank, a rule of thumb is 1 watt per litre so if you have a 5 gal tank, which is 20 litres, then a 20 or 25 watt heater is suffiicient.

Do try to get a heater that has adjustable temperature control as Bettas prefer warmer temps than most tropical fish, they require around 78 - 86F or 26 - 30C.

Here is a decent article with some good information about care for bettas in case you have not seen this already.

Betta Splenden Caresheet

Something I've seen done and seems like a good idea is getting a 20 gallon long tank and adding partitions that way you still have the separate spaces but only have to purchase one heater, one filter, etc.. Idk if that would work for you but just thought I'd mention it. Good luck with whatever you do :)

I can also vouch for the hydor heater (I have one in with my bettas), it's fully adjustable which is nice. I can also recommend this heater by Tetra (http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-26447-Submersible-Aquarium-50-Watt/dp/B000OQO69Q). This one is not adjustable but it is set to keep the temperature between 76-80F (it aims for 78F). I have one of these in my 5 gallon African Dwarf Frog tank and it is very compact.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Actually I was just reading some of the reviews of the Tetra heater and I just noticed it had a bunch on negative reviews...so I'm not so sure I recommend it anymore. Personally I have had good results with it, but now I kind of feel like I want to switch that heater out for something else. 

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back