heaters

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I've got the same heater. Last winter it abruptly stopped working and most of my guppies died. Just make sure to monitor it and if it goes haywire go to walmart and get another

What fish are you keeping @HoldenOn ? And what temp is your tank without a heater?
I'm keeping peppered corydoras, harlequin rasboras, and kribensis. Usually I can go no heater during spring summer and fall because my room is 78 degrees and the tank is like 76. That being said when its cold here it can get down to like 40, and I know for a fact my room won't stay 78 degrees.

Its a balance between cost, convenience and risk (of equipment failure). In the UK I need my heater(s) for 8-9 months of the year.
I have 2 heaters in all of my tanks. Each tank has an independent controller which allows me to see from anywhere in the room what my actual temp is. That allows me to pretty much set it and forget it. I am away a lot (except when we are in the middle of a pandemic) and its one less thing to worry about. It would take at least 2 things to fail concurrently to cause a problem. And if a single component fails I have plenty of time to sort it out.

1600445903889.jpeg

I'm also worried about dispersion of warm water. I don't want to add an air stone for fear of to strong of a flow for my corydoras and kribensis, and I've been having trouble getting reliable flow out of my filter.
kribs (Pelvicachromis pulcher, are river Cichlids. Their natural habitat flows more than an airstone could ever make a tank move. C paleatus like small running streams as well. Both will thank you for a flow.

Kribs come from water of around 26c, but will handle in and even breed at 22.

Get a brand name heater (Ehein, Fluval, Rena) and avoid low wattage heaters (less than 100watts). The 25, 50 and 75watt heaters tend to malfunction much more often than higher wattage heaters (100watt +).

Get a good quality submersible heater + an independent thermostat (below). Set the actual heater thermostat to a bit higher than you would have your tank normally. Then if the thermostat malfunctions, which is probably very unlikely with these, you still won’t boil your fish. I don’t understand why regular heater thermostats tend to fail closed when they fail…. 😢 it happened to me once and I lost my whole tank of convicts. I swore, never again will I let this happen.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07KF31BRT/?tag=

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back