Heaters Never Work! Or Do They?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishHelper101

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone! :) So I've been battling with what I want to do for fish. I just cannot seem to make up my mind! Anyway, today I was testing the water in my 10 gal. I felt the water (I don't have a thermometer) It was cold! My heater is set to 80*F, why isn't it working? Could it be that to me it's cold and it's actually not or is the heater just plain ol' defective? I have the Aqueon 50 WATT. 

Do you have a thermometer to double check the temperature?

Gizaroo2 said:
Do you have a thermometer to double check the temperature?
No, I mentioned in the post that I didn't :/ I need to get one though! 

Sorry, I didn't notice that! To verify for sure your heater is working, you definitely need to invest in a thermometer. Tis the only way to verify your temperatures. :)

I second Gizaroo's statement. Sometimes, especially in the summer, 80 degrees feels wonderfully cold. In the other seasons, for me anyway, it is easier to gauge temp by hand.

Thermometer is essential equipment.

Heaters do work, but they can break.  With winter coming, you will want a heater (& thermometer), although 80 is a bit high for many fish.

Just a basic alcohol analog thermometer is sufficient and inexpensive.

The water in my tank often feels cold too, although it is only set for 77 so it is not necessarily anything to worry about. Although as everyone has suggested here getting a thermometer will give you some peace of mind and also notify you should the heater become faulty. If it is faulty remember to check the fuse in the plug before buying a new heater as they have a tendency to blow from time to time. 

My tank is freezing to put my hand into but it still reads 25c :p

mine always feels cool the water that is and mine are at 27 degrees which is about 80 degrees for some reason all 3 of my tnaks settled out at thta temp

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back