Heater recommendation for a matten filter set up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Scooter_916

Reaction score
So I am in the process of setting up a 10g Shrimp tank and have been researching Matten Filters. I plan on doing a back corner matten filter and would like to place my heater behind the filter so its out of sight. my concern will be with water changes, I want to reduce the chance of cracking it if I forget to turn off or unplug before doing a water change, is there a brand that offers a very short 5-6" heater? that is sufficient for a 10g tank?

If this is just a shrimp only tank, you can get away without a heater if your area / room stays at steady temperature.

My living room tank for instance stays at a steady 20C without a heater and shrimps will be fine in that, usually 19-23C is fine.

In fact if water is warmer at 24+C this could possibly affect shrimps and shorten their lifespan.

These are based on Red Cherry Shrimps by the way, best research your specie of shrimps to be sure.

By the way, mattenfilter is usually for denitrification set up which is is cool, I did this years ago with external filter and had no problem at all, maintenances done at long intervals rather than the usual monthly.
But take some time before mattenfilter becomes a full denitrification system if this is your aim.

right now the water in another tank is hovering in the 77F range (25C) is there a way to maintain a cooler temp if the room is a higher temp? is there a heater/chiller?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back