heater question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

impur

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I recently ordered a heater from bigalsonline.com for my tank. I have a 55 gal. The heater i ordered is only 150 watts, but says on the page for 40-60 gal tanks. I have read that you should go by 3-5 watts per gallon which would put my need at around 250-300 watts. Is this heater going to be sufficient or should i send it back for a bigger one?

im not shure if this link will work but there is an online calculator that will tell you roughly how many watts for what size of tank its more about the tempriture delta in your room. say if your room is allways 20degre and the tank is at 79 then its not such a big heater but if your room gets cold then you need a bigger one.
calculator
for a 55 gal i think 150 watt is a little small as i dont think it would keep the tank warm in winter.

Your tank will need a heater of at least 300w,the 150 could probably do it but would burn out in no time at all,4 watts per gallon is a good guide to follow.

So i called bigalsonline to see if my order had gone out yet and if i could change the heaters, and the lady wouldn't even look up my order. She told me it was plenty big enough and it will work. I said all the things i've read and researched suggest otherwise and she stuck with her NO IT WILL WORK FINE. So i guess i'm stuck with it.

did you tell her that you want to purchase a bigger more expensive model? also when a customer service rep gives you a resounding "NO" politely ask for a supervisor and explain your situation to the supervisor. I did customer service for Compaq computers for 5 1/2 years and know the call center business all to well. the best thing you can do for yourself is no matter how upset you may be stay polite with the rep on the phone and they will generally do more for you. and when all else fails lie. tell them that you purchased amuch larger tank and will require a larger heater

Hi Impur

If you find that the 150W heater strugles, just buy another 150W heater. I find that two smaller heaters are better then one large one. If a heater fails, and sticks on, the tank will not heat up too much, and you have another heater in the tank, so the tank will not cool before you can buy a new one.

In my 1000 gall centerlized system, I use 6 300W heaters.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back