Heater Packed Up For My Salt Mix Container!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Surely buying a heater in this weather is counterintuative. Your supposed to leave the water mixing and aerating for a few hours from my knowledge and so make it up at night or first thing in the morning. Leave it 8 hours and it'll be room temp. Especially with added heat from powerhead or whatever your using to stir it up.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting responses on this!

Im sure Ozzie used to mix his cold but he sold his tank and ain't been on here for yonks!

Does anyone on here actually mix their water cold?

I don't even mix mine anymore lol, but I am lucky with my lfs.

I don't heat mine when doing a water change but that is down to my stock, deep water corals get the odd cold current so it's natural for them.

I've ordered a cheap, nasty, 'made in taiwan' style heater 100w. 1 week until I recieve it. So looks like my wc will have to wait a while.

Not worth the risk doing it cold, although I am intrigued to find out if it will creep up to the right sg at tank temp.

Right, I found an old heater 100w and it works.

Just to clarify, I think your meant to add salt to plain ro, once it's up to temp first and not straight wawy when it's cold! Is that correct as i've been doing it when its cold as I know how much to add to get 1.025 when up to temp.

Can I have some opinions on who does it cold or at correct temp!

Cheers all!

Im not quite sure what you are saying, are you asking if anyone adds the salt when the water is still cold? If so, yes I do. I put the water in the bucket with a powerhead, heater, and airstone and throw the salt in straight away. I then test SG when its at the required temp.

HTH

Im not quite sure what you are saying, are you asking if anyone adds the salt when the water is still cold? If so, yes I do. I put the water in the bucket with a powerhead, heater, and airstone and throw the salt in straight away. I then test SG when its at the required temp.

HTH

Cheers mate! That's what I meant!

Believe it or not, my old re-found heater has a loose connection which I can't get to as it's a sealed unit, and the cheap nasty one i bought off ebay don't even work. Think it's a faulty stat as the element seems in tact.

So looks like im gonna be adding COLD salt water to my tank.

Better add it slow I guess.

Or I could boil the kettle a couple of times, pour it into a tub and sit my mixing container in it for a bit! LOL

i dont use a heater when mixing water i just let it get to room temp. no adverse effects at all

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back