Heater for Hard Water?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AbstractClock18

Reaction score
Where I live, we have a well, and the water that typically comes up is filled with different minerals. I've tried the hauling water thing, but it ended up being too expensive and (mostly) time consuming. Besides, my snail and previous fish haven't expressed any issue with the hard water. The only problem I've been having is with my heater.

The heater I have now is the hygger 50W Mini Submersible Digital Display Aquarium Heater, which I bought off Amazon. I have had to replace it 3 times because of hard water deposits against the coil that no amount of cleaning could get out. I haven't changed heater types because this one has lasted the longest in the hard water.
20210415_194916.jpg
(Sorry about the quality of the photo, but here's my heater)

So, after all of that background, my question is does anybody know of a heater that can withstand mineral rich water in a small, 5 gallon tank?

eheim heaters, very very reliable and no exposed coils and no leaks, it has a simple shape and easy to clean in my opinion, just make sure theres not overwhelming build-up

what fish do you have?
im sure your snail is veery happy with all those minerals

Is it an aquarium heater?
Because they are sealed up so water can't get into them and cause them to blow up and electrocute you.

If you have calcium deposits building up on the glass, soak the heater in vinegar overnight, then rinse it off. If you don't have vinegar, then use a fizzy drink like Coke.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back