Heater cracked 😣

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

joeyr188

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello my Fluval heater cracked I order a mariland 75watt it will be here on Friday what should I do should I keep the Fluval one on it get to 64 degrees at night I’m thinking i keep it going and hope it stays working till Friday. opinions?

I would be nervous of a cracked heater, the crack might get worse with the heat/cool periods while using the heater. But you have to keep the fish at least partially warm. I don't know what fish you have but when we had power outs, up to three days I did not do anything to the tanks other than wrap them up to reduce the temp drop. If you have a 75 watt heater your tank is on the smaller side, so it will respond to a change in the ambient temp faster.

If you feel you need to use it, fill a cylindrical container with tank water and place it into the aquarium so that the edges of the container are a couple of inches above the water level of the tank. Place the heater in this container. This will isolate the heater from the aquarium water but still allow some heating from the warm water in the container to the cooler water in the aquarium. Be aware that just by moving the heater you might cause the tube to break and if it breaks within the container you might have full mains power in the container. Pure water is a poor electrical conductor but I doubt the water is pure, so before handling I would unplug the heater.

You will have to use your best judgement because all options, I believe, have a least a small element of risk to your fish.

Th
I would be nervous of a cracked heater, the crack might get worse with the heat/cool periods while using the heater. But you have to keep the fish at least partially warm. I don't know what fish you have but when we had power outs, up to three days I did not do anything to the tanks other than wrap them up to reduce the temp drop. If you have a 75 watt heater your tank is on the smaller side, so it will respond to a change in the ambient temp faster.

If you feel you need to use it, fill a cylindrical container with tank water and place it into the aquarium so that the edges of the container are a couple of inches above the water level of the tank. Place the heater in this container. This will isolate the heater from the aquarium water but still allow some heating from the warm water in the container to the cooler water in the aquarium. Be aware that just by moving the heater you might cause the tube to break and if it breaks within the container you might have full mains power in the container. Pure water is a poor electrical conductor but I doubt the water is pure, so before handling I would unplug the heater.

You will have to use your best judgement because all options, I believe, have a least a small element of risk to your fish.
they are guppies my tank is at 75degrees I unpluggEd it took it out and put a towel over it I’m keeping the filiter Going obviously I will check every hour before I go to bed then in the morning before I leave then when I get back every hour same thing till new one arrives if it drops below 68 I will change water with a little bit warmer how much do you think I should? I think like 2 degrees so I don’t shock them

Good luck I have never raised guppies so I don't know how they would do with a temp drop. I always considered guppies un-interesting until I joined this forum a couple of year back and saw the guppies that some of the forum members raise. You could potentially use a warm hot/cold pack (ice pack) warmed to say 90 degrees (you don't want the potential to burn the fish) to add warmth to the tank.

I
Good luck I have never raised guppies so I don't know how they would do with a temp drop. I always considered guppies un-interesting until I joined this forum a couple of year back and saw the guppies that some of the forum members raise. You could potentially use a warm hot/cold pack (ice pack) warmed to say 90 degrees (you don't want the potential to burn the fish) to add warmth to the tank.
i added 2 hand warmers to the side probably won’t change the temp but all I can do besides add a old heater from the 80s 😂

can you turn the room heat up to 70 or so
and add the very old heater to see if it works

I

i added 2 hand warmers to the side probably won’t change the temp but all I can do besides add a old heater from the 80s 😂
do you have any fish stores near you? If so, most of them have heaters you can just get immediately, and once the marineland one arrives you have a backup.

do you have any fish stores near you? If so, most of them have heaters you can just get immediately, and once the marineland one arrives you have a backup.
I do I also have box stores but it might rn and tomorrow i will be busy like all day 😭

I once had a heater stop working and managed to last 2 days without it until i got a replacement. I have guppies etc and they were ok.

How big is your tank. The larger it is the slower it will loose heat. What's your ambient air temperature in your tanks room?

I woul cover the tank with a duvet or something similar to insulate it a towel probably won't do the job very well.

I once had a heater stop working and managed to last 2 days without it until i got a replacement. I have guppies etc and they were ok.

How big is your tank. The larger it is the slower it will loose heat. What's your ambient air temperature in your tanks room?

I woul cover the tank with a duvet or something similar to insulate it a towel probably won't do the job very well.
It’s a 10gallon which sucks my ambient temp is like 62-70

The cracked heater is dangerous. I have been zapped by heaters, and it is painful and scary.

As its a small tank. Do you have a hot water bottle in the house? Strap that side should help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back