Heater Broke, Fish Are Dying

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snakequeen

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all
I have just got back from a weekend away and my heater in one of my tanks has stopped working
The water is freezing to the touch, its not even reading on the temp gauge ( below 19)
I didnt know what to do so i have put my fish into buckets of water from another tank
I know this was probably the wrong thing to do but im panacing
The fish are hardly moving and a couple are deff dead.
Theres still a couple in the tank that i cant catch - (my 2 big plecs)

please help

Eve

not much help but maybe bring the bucket into a warm room and then get a heater first thing in the morning. can't you put them in the other tank... slowly of course

thats what im wanting to do
I have another heater which i have now added to the tank
i have another tank they can go into but i dont wanna kill them but if i leave them they are gonna die
I got them in buckets at the mo
Tanks where they came from is sitting at 8
Buckets they are in are at 16

thats what im wanting to do
I have another heater which i have now added to the tank
i have another tank they can go into but i dont wanna kill them but if i leave them they are gonna die
I got them in buckets at the mo
Tanks where they came from is sitting at 8
Buckets they are in are at 16

CAN'T YOU INTRODUCE THEM TO THE OTHER TANK SLOWLY tonight ( sorry about caps) and then with new heater reintroduce tomorrw. better than a freezing night I would have thought. good luck :good:

that happened to me once we used pop bottle filled with hot water and put them in the tank,it done the job till we got to the shop,hope the fish are ok,

I have them back in the tank again now, another heater in there and they have livened up a bit
I have lost 4 so far,
fingers crossed i dont lose anymore

Don't you have like a Walmart or something around there that is open 24 hours a day. Some advise for the future is buy another heater as a back up incase something like that happens again. Sorry for your lose. :rip:

Erk - unfortunately, in th UK we aren't blessed with the Walmrt type store that wiull sell things like a fish heater. Means we have to go to a pet superstore or LFS for all our stuff.

Our supermarkets are really just that, for food, and although they open 24 hours during the week they don't open on Sunday night. Sunday trading laws mean that all shops except convenience stores can only open for 6 hours on a Sunday.

Snakequeen - sorry to hear of your loss - how are the others getting on?

/me goes to press the button to buy a spare heater from ebay...

All you can do is wrap the tank in a blanket.
Don't do warm water changes it's the worst thing you can do.

the other fish seem to be fine today
I only lost 4 :(

I have a spare heater and filters and other spare stuff

Don't do warm water changes it's the worst thing you can do.

That depends on what type of boiler you have. Combi boilers are fine to use for water changes.

Erk - unfortunately, in th UK we aren't blessed with the Walmrt type store that wiull sell things like a fish heater. Means we have to go to a pet superstore or LFS for all our stuff.

Our supermarkets are really just that, for food, and although they open 24 hours during the week they don't open on Sunday night. Sunday trading laws mean that all shops except convenience stores can only open for 6 hours on a Sunday.

Not strictly true. Asda (the UK trading name for Wallmart!) sells all kinds of electrical goods, clothes, toys and pet foods - as do Tesco and other supermarkets. You're right though, they don't have a LFS-type area selling live fish and specific fisk keeping goods.

Didn't mean the water from the tap meant warm water changes can stress the fish as sudden raise in temp more than two degrees either way can cause whitespot, swim bladder and columnaris.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back