Heater and thermometer not matching

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lynhagan

Reaction score
Hi -

I have a ten gallon tank filled to 9 gallon with one betta in
I have a heater that I set to 26.5 celsius and a Dennerle nano thermometer that did match that temperature.
A month on and I found that I was waking up to find the Dennerle reading 24 degrees celsius.
My betta was breathing heavily at the bottom of the tank - no ammonia problem when tested.
I had squeezed the filter out and gravel vacuumed with
I turned up the thermostat on the heater to 28 and now the Dennerle is at 26
Is it possible that the thermostat is not working properly and should I trust the Dennerle nano thermometer over it?
I was thinking about getting a digital probe to test it out - if anyone can recommend one?
I also put in an air stone in case the temperature is 28 degree to be able to oxygenate the water and have this one for a few hours each day -
is that best practice or should I have it off or on all the time.

Advice appreciated please

I don't know anything about Dennerle thermometers, but I would always trust a thermometer's reading over the indicated setting of a heater. Personally I've never encountered a heater that accurately attains what its temp indicator reads.

I was wondering if it might be a problem with the filter circulating water properly. When I put the airstone on the heater light switches on. I figure as long as the Dennerle reads 26c then my betta will be safe in that zone?

Yeah, heater settings are only a guide.
It could be something else that is bothering the Betta, but as far as adding an airstone is concerned, you don't need to worry about a higher temperature causing low oxygen. It shouldn't be an issue for a single fish in a 10 gallon, but particularly an anabantid as they are adapted for such conditions.

I was wondering if it might be a problem with the filter circulating water properly. When I put the airstone on the heater light switches on. I figure as long as the Dennerle reads 26c then my betta will be safe in that zone?
Yes but Bettas don't like too much flow. It's hard to imagine that even a basic filter wouldn't provide adequate circulation in a 10 gallon (as far a temperature distribution is concerned) but yes, increasing or changing the circulation can result in the pattern of the thermostat changing e.g. a slow circulation past the heater will probably result in it switching off and on frequently, whereas strong flow will probably make it stay on and off for longer periods. Unless flow is really slow it's not an issue and the tank should heat evenly enough.

Most hobbyist equipment isn't calibrated all that close. You're probably within two degrees one way or the other and that's fine. You could buy laboratory grade stuff but it's really expensive.

Yes but Bettas don't like too much flow. It's hard to imagine that even a basic filter wouldn't provide adequate circulation in a 10 gallon (as far a temperature distribution is concerned) but yes, increasing or changing the circulation can result in the pattern of the thermostat changing e.g. a slow circulation past the heater will probably result in it switching off and on frequently, whereas strong flow will probably make it stay on and off for longer periods. Unless flow is really slow it's not an issue and the tank should heat evenly enough.
So I should turn the airstone off, buy a probe thermometer and monitor the situation?

Most hobbyist equipment isn't calibrated all that close. You're probably within two degrees one way or the other and that's fine. You could buy laboratory grade stuff but it's really expensive.
It was just when it was consistently 24 degrees in the morning and he looked like was gasping - fine now though so best leave well alone?

It was just when it was consistently 24 degrees in the morning and he looked like was gasping - fine now though so best leave well alone?
That's hard to do for most of us , me especially. Leaving things alone. Lots of things need time to settle out. Don't worry about it but watch closely , you are gaining personal experience.

It's a tough game, isn't it? I know that I will always keep betta fish now but I didn't realize how much more monitoring and research keeping it would take. Happy to learn though. Love being able to ask experienced keepers

could anything else have caused the gasping then? It was very visible and pronounced
I'm no expert and I don't want to freak you out, but yeah other issues could cause gasping, including not getting enough oxygen. Did the gasping stop after adding the air stone?

Well, the filter I got made an odd humming noise when I first got it so I did some adjusting and now the noise is gone, but it seems to me like the flow is slightly less strong (which I thought fine). My betta is always seemingly (I'm aware it could be something else) playing in the flow but the gasping seemed to me to happen after the last water change. I matched the temp, did 7 litres (30litre tank) and added Seachem prime. He definately perked up with the air stone. No signs of Ich as far as I can see, and my parameters (apart from hard water) are fine - maybe ph is a little low at 6.5.

I'm just confused really - my partner thinks I am messing around with it too much (not that he keeps fish)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back