Heat EMERGENCY!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
So basically I just need to enjoy my free 3-4 month subscription to no ich... Cool. 🤣🤣🤣
You also have free warm water in the afternoon.
I turned off my water heater in the afternoon because my tap water can easily reach 90F or higher.

You also have free warm water in the afternoon.
I turned off my water heater in the afternoon because my tap water can easily reach 90F or higher.
Sheesh... Crazy heat were having

HELP! My tank went up to about 85 and I'm so scared! I'm using hose tap and I always let it run for 3-5 minutes before using to rid of chemicals in the hose and to lower the temp but I guess the temp builds back up through the black hose while the water runs through slowly...
Right now I'm using a frozen water bottle to help cool down new water! HELP!
View attachment 164624
I am seeing this post today & will read comments & see if I have anything to add.

Did you mention what’s in your tank? A gradual rise to 85F would not harm several species. Key word gradual. Some maintain certain types at or close to 85. I have 2 cold water tanks, a 40 G with axolotles & a new 125 G purchased for my fancy goldfish. My tanks are averaging 77F lately. The goldfish are fine. I keep most heated tanks at 72-75F and the gradual seasonal increases are OK for my types of fish. They have never gone above ~77 from ambient conditions.

I take measures to cool the axie tank to no higher than 65F. I do this by insulating the windows near the tank. Closed blinds are not enough in that room. I have big pieces of cardboard & foam under & above the blinds to block out light. I buy cases of water bottles,$6 for 24, at Walmart. I remove the lids & pour out a little to prevent expansion in the freezer. Fortunately I have an upright freezer near the tank. I dump maybe 3-5 frozen bottles in the tank and replace them as needed and drop in new ones. I was prepared to buy a small window AC for this room, but it’s been unnecessary thus far.

I have inexpensive LED task lights for the room, it gets dark. Found some that use 4 watts, forgot the output, but enough to read by etc.

I have heard of people applying foam insulation to 3 sides of the tank to conserve heat & assume the reverse works to keep it out.

Did you mention what’s in your tank? A gradual rise to 85F would not harm several species. Key word gradual. Some maintain certain types at or close to 85. I have 2 cold water tanks, a 40 G with axolotles & a new 125 G purchased for my fancy goldfish. My tanks are averaging 77F lately. The goldfish are fine. I keep most heated tanks at 72-75F and the gradual seasonal increases are OK for my types of fish. They have never gone above ~77 from ambient conditions.

I take measures to cool the axie tank to no higher than 65F. I do this by insulating the windows near the tank. Closed blinds are not enough in that room. I have big pieces of cardboard & foam under & above the blinds to block out light. I buy cases of water bottles,$6 for 24, at Walmart. I remove the lids & pour out a little to prevent expansion in the freezer. Fortunately I have an upright freezer near the tank. I dump maybe 3-5 frozen bottles in the tank and replace them as needed and drop in new ones. I was prepared to buy a small window AC for this room, but it’s been unnecessary thus far.

I have inexpensive LED task lights for the room, it gets dark. Found some that use 4 watts, forgot the output, but enough to read by etc.

I have heard of people applying foam insulation to 3 sides of the tank to conserve heat & assume the reverse works to keep it out.
Thank you very much for your response and advice!!
I have peacock gudgeons only in the aquarium.
They seem very active this morning and the temp went down (thank God) to about 74-75°F! So I'm really happy.
I don't see the male yet, he is guarding another batch of eggs but he comes out sometimes so I'm hoping for an appearance.

Oh by the way guys, a bit off topic but I have one small fry that's been in the tank for a little over a month now and I've named him/her Captain Nemo. At first it was just Nemo because he/she has survived through two batches of fry disappearing. I hate Naming fish Nemo but this little survivor deserves it. Yesterday I gave him/her the captain promotion for surviving the large temperature swing. I have a feeling that little guy will make a FINE adult gudgeon. He/she is a survivor!

I have three bottles of water in the freezer just for the tank now so that way I can toss it in during the water changes

You’re very welcome & congrats on Captain Nemo. I found a 1” baby peacock in my sump tank & tossed it into a 55 G that contains no African cichlids. Had I returned him to the big tank the parents & their companions would have surely eaten the little guy just as they did his siblings. I didn’t even know a female was holding. They are always hiding out. He/she’s doing well, but not showing any color, so I don’t know what type of peacock I have. Or if it’s a girl who won’t ever color up much.

You’re very welcome & congrats on Captain Nemo. I found a 1” baby peacock in my sump tank & tossed it into a 55 G that contains no African cichlids. Had I returned him to the big tank the parents & their companions would have surely eaten the little guy just as they did his siblings. I didn’t even know a female was holding. They are always hiding out. He/she’s doing well, but not showing any color, so I don’t know what type of peacock I have. Or if it’s a girl who won’t ever color up much.
Thank you!
I think I remember that thread you made!
That was very interesting. Pretty amazing she survived that long in the sump.

No matter how often it is stated, still it is not being understood. Do not put bags of ice in the tank. Leave it alone. The tank water will bee the temperature of the air in the room. When doing water changes, the water can be slightly cooler (this is a good practice at all water changes throughout the year). But only one per day. Continual up and down temperatures can seriously harm fish.

Back in the 1990's my tanks got up to 90F during a heat wave. I never lost fish. Increase surface disturbance, that's all. Unless you have an air conditioned room, you are only going to make things worse by multiple cold water changes.

No matter how often it is stated, still it is not being understood. Do not put bags of ice in the tank. Leave it alone. The tank water will bee the temperature of the air in the room. When doing water changes, the water can be slightly cooler (this is a good practice at all water changes throughout the year). But only one per day. Continual up and down temperatures can seriously harm fish.

Back in the 1990's my tanks got up to 90F during a heat wave. I never lost fish. Increase surface disturbance, that's all. Unless you have an air conditioned room, you are only going to make things worse by multiple cold water changes.
While I agree. The water I let out after the water change was 100°F or more. Nearly burned my hand but cooled down a bit.
I will use an ice pack if needed. The heat is way too much for a little fish to bare.
I know you have way more experience and I'm not trying to disregard it but I have to do what feels right...

That thread may have been from a year ago about 3 similar babies that were in this same sump when I bought this used set up, a 90 G with a 20 G sump. They grew up to be Blue Dragon Peacocks and this little guy may be the same.

I am more into fish Facebook groups than fish forums now. Got some terrific buys on tanks, equipment & fish from local people. And no more $40 overnight shipping fees for fish.

While I agree. The water I let out after the water change was 100°F or more. Nearly burned my hand but cooled down a bit.
I will use an ice pack if needed. The heat is way too much for a little fish to bare.
I know you have way more experience and I'm not trying to disregard it but I have to do what feels right...

There is no problem cooling the fresh water before it is added to the tank. Each water change using water a few degrees cooler is not going to cause issues (for most fish, there are always exceptions). But floating bags of ice is dangerous, as any biologist who knows fish will tell you. You are doing more harm to your fish, but they are your fish, so be it.

That thread may have been from a year ago about 3 similar babies that were in this same sump when I bought this used set up, a 90 G with a 20 G sump. They grew up to be Blue Dragon Peacocks and this little guy may be the same.

I am more into fish Facebook groups than fish forums now. Got some terrific buys on tanks, equipment & fish from local people. And no more $40 overnight shipping fees for fish.
Yah I think that was it!

I was sad when you left!
You said you would keep annoying me with the aquarium walled bathroom daily... 🤣🤣

It is common practice to cool axie tanks with frozen bottles of water.

There is no problem cooling the fresh water before it is added to the tank. Each water change using water a few degrees cooler is not going to cause issues (for most fish, there are always exceptions). But floating bags of ice is dangerous, as any biologist who knows fish will tell you. You are doing more harm to your fish, but they are your fish, so be it.
I can't use buckets much but I did so yesterday (I could feel my back going out on me)

I may do it where I fill up the tank 1/2-3/4 of the way and then put the ice pack in....
I don't wanna boil my poor fish.

Yah I think that was it!

I was sad when you left!
You said you would keep annoying me with the aquarium walled bathroom daily... 🤣🤣
In that case, I’ll add resurrecting that meme to my “To Do” list & post it 10X for you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back