Heat EMERGENCY!!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

@Essjay @Wills Hope you guys can help here, I remember there was a thread recently about the most recent UK heatwave that had a lot of useful tips about how to maintain tank temps and encourage cooling gradually, but I've been searching and can't find it, only really old threads. Any chance you guys remember it/can find it, please?

Yah but that's indoor tap that stays cool easier (not to say it won't heat up) while the water I use is from the outside tap. I felt it running on my hand outside at full blast when I was finished with the WC and it warmed up to about 90-100°F!!! I could feel it! I have fairly heat resistant hands and that nearly burned!
Remember to cool the tank slowly... gradually, couple of degrees, not a big swing in temp.
Is there air con in the room? Can you close blinds to reduce sunlight in that room? Can you run a fan across the surface of the tank?

Remember to cool the tank slowly... gradually, couple of degrees, not a big swing in temp.
Is there air con in the room? Can you close blinds to reduce sunlight in that room? Can you run a fan across the surface of the tank?
Yes there is air conditioning. I have the lid off at the moment and there is no way to run a fan at the top because of the space surrounding it but maybe I can try to find a way?...
And yes, the blinds are closed

@Essjay @Wills Hope you guys can help here, I remember there was a thread recently about the most recent UK heatwave that had a lot of useful tips about how to maintain tank temps and encourage cooling gradually, but I've been searching and can't find it, only really old threads. Any chance you guys remember it/can find it, please?

Brilliant google fu, thank you!! @connorlindeman

@Rocky998 once you've cooled your tank a couple of degrees, then take some deep breaths and read this thread Conner linked above, okay? Lots of sensible advice for things to do and things to avoid!

If it serves to appease anybody...
I would dare guess that most of the northern hemisphere, as well as much of the southern hemisphere's current air temperatures (and thus, the aquarium water as well) are very high right now, due to the crazy climate spell we are going through. My 5 active tanks are ranging 82-85 right now....
The frozen water bottles, the fans over the surface, all that helps some, but what probably helps the most is to maintain as brisk movement (turnover) including surface agitation as possible. Not only the high temperature is stressful, but the higher the temp, the less the solubility of oxygen in water.

Thank you very much I'll read through this later!
Brilliant google fu, thank you!! @connorlindeman

@Rocky998 once you've cooled your tank a couple of degrees, then take some deep breaths and read this thread Conner linked above, okay? Lots of sensible advice for things to do and things to avoid!
Definitely! I'm about to check the tank now 🤞
If it serves to appease anybody...
I would dare guess that most of the northern hemisphere, as well as much of the southern hemisphere's current air temperatures (and thus, the aquarium water as well) are very high right now, due to the crazy climate spell we are going through. My 5 active tanks are ranging 82-85 right now....
The frozen water bottles, the fans over the surface, all that helps some, but what probably helps the most is to maintain as brisk movement (turnover) including surface agitation as possible. Not only the high temperature is stressful, but the higher the temp, the less the solubility of oxygen in water.
Yes definitely agree there. Thank you.
Its crazy heat were all having

CALM AND BREATHE.
Remember that the increase in the temp was gradual (if this is because of the weather?) and that when we treat ich with high temps, fish manage to survive those temps for a while. Pouring in a ton of cold water and adding frozen bottles can make things worse rather than better. @Colin_T please give sensible advice here!
I agree with everything @GaryE has said.

Add an airstone and let the temperature come down naturally.

A temperature of 85F is fine. We have the temp set to 86F when treating white spot for 2 weeks. The fish survive that without any issues.

In Australia our fish tanks regularly sit on 86F (and more) during all 3 months of summer, and quite often into autumn.

-------------------------
To prevent this in future, fill up some big plastic buckets and leave them next to the aquarium overnight or at least a couple of hours, and the water temperature in the buckets will be closer to the tank temperature.

You can also try a different tap.

If the outside tap is fed from pipes that go through the roof, and you have a tin roof without any ventilation in it, then the water pipes will heat up and you get hot water coming out of a cold tap. I have that issue here where I am now. When it's hot outside, the roof heats up and we get 50-60C water coming out of the cold tap. The garden tap out the front still gives cold water. Maybe a different tap will have cooler water.

Dam i never had a heat problem before (Scotland) but I have encountered a cold problem with loss of power for heater due to power failure etc. I am looking and trying to source a small generator before next winter maybe heat pads and a battery operated bubbler too for emergency. My cold water always cold enough that i don't really even need ice cubes in my drink even in summer :). So for me i guess i am lucky an older house cooler inside than out during summer and blinds are kept closed to ensure the fire in the sky don't give unwanted heat through the windows. But very interesting read guys thanks and good luck with summer.

Dam i never had a heat problem before (Scotland) but I have encountered a cold problem with loss of power for heater due to power failure etc. I am looking and trying to source a small generator before next winter maybe heat pads and a battery operated bubbler too for emergency. My cold water always cold enough that i don't really even need ice cubes in my drink even in summer :). So for me i guess i am lucky an older house cooler inside than out during summer and blinds are kept closed to ensure the fire in the sky don't give unwanted heat through the windows. But very interesting read guys thanks and good luck with summer.
I wish our water was like that! Lol... It's easier and less expensive to heat than to cool

During the summer, the tap water can be very warm in the afternoon.
Don't change water in the afternoon especially after 11am/12 noon.
The water will be at the hottest probably at 2-4pm and it may stay warm until 6-7pm.(or depending on the weather).

If you really need to do water change in the afternoon, you have to collect water in a few big buckets one day before, or you will have to buy a pack of ice cubes.

Do your water change in the evening (probably after 8pm) or morning(8-10am) when the water is cooler.

In my country(tropical country), my tank water can stay at 85-86F for at least 6-9 months in a year.
So, don't panic.
Just make sure the tap water temperature is not too much different from the tank water.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back