Heat EMERGENCY!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
HELP! My tank went up to about 85 and I'm so scared! I'm using hose tap and I always let it run for 3-5 minutes before using to rid of chemicals in the hose and to lower the temp but I guess the temp builds back up through the black hose while the water runs through slowly...
Right now I'm using a frozen water bottle to help cool down new water! HELP!
20220810_122855.jpg

HELP! My tank went up to about 85 and I'm so scared! I'm using hose tap and I always let it run for 3-5 minutes before using to rid of chemicals in the hose and to lower the temp but I guess the temp builds back up through the black hose while the water runs through slowly...
Right now I'm using a frozen water bottle to help cool down new water! HELP!
View attachment 164624
Oof. In the future you need to check the temp before adding the water.

Could you do another change and at colder water?

What I'm trying to do:
20220810_123534.jpg

Oof. In the future you need to check the temp before adding the water.

Could you do another change and at colder water?
I always check before adding. It's fairly chill at 69-72 but the heat kept building I suppose while the water ran through....
The fish seem to be doing alright

I am going to be adding that water in the above picture

I still definitely need advice on how to counter this

Stop. No panic.

A cooler water change will kill fish. Just wait and let the temperature go down.
Oh ok.... But the temp is REALLY hot... 85°F is a big change from 75

You should always measure the source water temp before adding to your tank.

In the summertime, have several frozen water bottles on hand, for emergencies like this, or when doing WC's with overly warm tap water (my "cold" tap temp has averaged around 87F for the last few months, so I need them at every WC)

Turn up your filter(s) to max, and run an air bubbler

You should always measure the source water temp before adding to your tank.

In the summertime, have several frozen water bottles on hand, for emergencies like this, or when doing WC's with overly warm tap water (my "cold" tap temp has averaged around 87F for the last few months, so I need them at every WC)

Turn up your filter(s) to max, and run an air bubbler
I can't run a butler but I have my filter at max...

And yes I will definitely keep about 2 frozen water bottles on hand in a plastic bag.
Should I be worried about the plastics leaching toxins?

So, dropping temperatures more than 3 degrees C is very dangerous to cold blooded fish. Raising it by 10f is careless ((virtual slap on hand there) but it has been done. Modify your system to avoid every doing that again. You have created a danger, but the fish should be fine if you don't compound the problem with water bottles. Your best friend is a slow, gradual drop to the correct range. Speeding it up is increasing the stress.

CALM AND BREATHE.
Remember that the increase in the temp was gradual (if this is because of the weather?) and that when we treat ich with high temps, fish manage to survive those temps for a while. Pouring in a ton of cold water and adding frozen bottles can make things worse rather than better. @Colin_T please give sensible advice here!

So, dropping temperatures more than 3 degrees C is very dangerous to cold blooded fish. Raising it by 10f is careless ((virtual slap on hand there) but it has been done. Modify your system to avoid every doing that again. You have created a danger, but the fish should be fine if you don't compound the problem with water bottles. Your best friend is a slow, gradual drop to the correct range. Speeding it up is increasing the stress.
Ok... So I've got an idea next WC... I have 3 water bottles freezing in a plastic ziplock bag and will place it in the water when I begin to fill.
I wasn't being careless either. I check the temp all the time but I wasn't expecting the temp to rise like that with the water flowing...
Idk how it got to this temp.... So I feel horrible and amazed that this happened

CALM AND BREATHE.
Remember that the increase in the temp was gradual (if this is because of the weather?) and that when we treat ich with high temps, fish manage to survive those temps for a while. Pouring in a ton of cold water and adding frozen bottles can make things worse rather than better. @Colin_T please give sensible advice here!
*inhales slowly* *exhales slowly*
You are right we use these temps for ich but it's not needed and there is no need for them to go through this. So it makes me EXTREMELY nervous now that I saw this happen.
It was gradual but the water level was also pretty low so it was a big change

Ok... So I've got an idea next WC... I have 3 water bottles freezing in a plastic ziplock bag and will place it in the water when I begin to fill.
I wasn't being careless either. I check the temp all the time but I wasn't expecting the temp to rise like that with the water flowing...
Idk how it got to this temp.... So I feel horrible and amazed that this happened
That can happen fairly easily.
Thats why when I'm filling with my python I check the temp every now and then.

That can happen fairly easily.
Thats why when I'm filling with my python I check the temp every now and then.
Yah but that's indoor tap that stays cool easier (not to say it won't heat up) while the water I use is from the outside tap. I felt it running on my hand outside at full blast when I was finished with the WC and it warmed up to about 90-100°F!!! I could feel it! I have fairly heat resistant hands and that nearly burned!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back