Healthy looking Guppy suddenly died

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MiaH

Reaction score
I bought 3 guppies just over a week ago for my 75l tank with 6 Neon Tetras and a Bronze Cory. They were all eating fine and nothing was unusual until I did a head count and was missing one Guppy to be found looking very normal, nothing different except it was in the filter and dead. I can do a water check tomorrow because I have school but does anyone know why this may be? The tank was cycled and planted before they were introduced.

Hi and welcome to the forum:)
This just happened to one of my guppies. Do you know what your water parameters are?
How often ae you doing water changes?

This just happened to one of my guppies. Do you know what your water parameters are?

My water parameters are looking fine. I do my water changes about every 2 weeks and remove about 20-25% of the water.

My water parameters are looking fine. I do my water changes about every 2 weeks and remove about 20-25% of the water.
Can you be more specific about what the water parameters are? Guppies and Tetras require different parameters. So much so that guppies will not survive in water that is "perfect" for tetras and corys. The parameters of interest in this case are GH, KH and pH. We would need the actual numbers as well as the units before anyone can advise what fish are suitable.

FWIW most people recommend to change at least 50% of the water every week. Fish in a tank are forced to live in their own muck so this is a good habit to get into.

Did you get the guppies from petco or petsmart?
I got a guppy from petco once, and one morning she just died. She ate breakfast, looked and acted healthy, and my water was fine. She just dropped dead.
I think it was because in petco and petsmart the water from the tanks is pumped by the same filter. So, if one fish is sick, then all of the fish will get sick. To prevent this, the stores dump a whole bunch of antibiotics into the water. But, when the fish get sold and the antibiotics wear off, the fish dies because it still has all the illnesses. They were just prevented from causing any symptoms by the anibiotics.
If possible, I would recommend getting your fish from a local fish store instead of petco or petsmar if you don't already.

Water parameters
Did you get the guppies from petco or petsmart?
I got a guppy from petco once, and one morning she just died. She ate breakfast, looked and acted healthy, and my water was fine. She just dropped dead.
I think it was because in petco and petsmart the water from the tanks is pumped by the same filter. So, if one fish is sick, then all of the fish will get sick. To prevent this, the stores dump a whole bunch of antibiotics into the water. But, when the fish get sold and the antibiotics wear off, the fish dies because it still has all the illnesses. They were just prevented from causing any symptoms by the anibiotics.
If possible, I would recommend getting your fish from a local fish store instead of petco or petsmar if you don't already.
I live in the UK so I got them from pets at home (basically petsco). My local fish store really isn’t that great and the fish aren’t treated well so I don’t want to fund more fish to be put in misery.

Guppies these days are notorious for dying easily. Perhaps one of the other guppies was bullying it, or maybe it was just stressed and died
That is a possibility it was one of the smallest!

My water parameters are looking fine. I do my water changes about every 2 weeks and remove about 20-25% of the water
Do you mind telling us the exact readings of ph, gh, kh, nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia? A lot of times pet stores will tell you that your water is fine but it really is off the chart. As @seangee said, if you keep neon tetras together with livebearers, the water quality is a fine line of perfection.

Do you mind telling us the exact readings of ph, gh, kh, nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia? A lot of times pet stores will tell you that your water is fine but it really is off the chart. As @seangee said, if you keep neon tetras together with livebearers, the water quality is a fine line of perfection.
I’ll take another water test when I get back from school. However the colours match up on them to tell but I’ll find another way to get the numbers.

I bought 5 guppies last week and 2 died while in QT. Guppies just aren’t good quality these days.

If you get any livebearers or rainbowfish, put them in a quarantine tank and add salt immediately. Add 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. Keep the salt there for the first 2 weeks. You will have a lot less problems with guppies and other livebearers if you use salt on them straight away.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back