Healthy fish poop...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Vegan Peaches

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I don't really know much about fish, but my Black Molly has a pink strand of what I'm assuming is poop comming from it's underside and I don't think fish poop is supposed to be pink... or stringy. There are other Mollie's in the tank as well, should I remove the one or is it just some form of fish diarhea?

I'm feeding him "Tetracolor Tropical Flakes" ... bargain fish food, probably not the best for them, but it's what the pet store feeds them and I didn't want to introduce a new kind of food. Shrimp meal is one of the ingrediants in the food, does that count as meat?

Yes shrimp is meat... its prolly digesting what the lfs fed him.... give him a few days and you wil see that the poop will be brown and black :thumbs:

orange isn't so creepy, as the gold dust molies are orange. Pink poop kind of scares me, mainly because it stands out so much... I have nothing pink - or even red - in, or around, my aquarium. Pink poop stands out xD

the tetracolor stuff literally brings out colors in fish and i notice when i feed mine with that, they have colorful poop... weird i know.

Fish poop always comes out in strings. Also, it's color generally depends on the color of food you are feeding them. My fish also have reddish-pink poop, and they are all in perfect health (except for one sword; I think she has internal worms). I feed my large goldfish algae tablets at night and shrimp pellets in the morning. He has light greenish-beige poo. My cichlids are fed floating crumbles that are brown. Their poo is a nice dark-brown color. You get what I mean? Mucous or blood in fish poo is bad. That's what you have to watch out for. But pink poo is perfectly normal when you're feeding your fish with color-enhancing flakes.

Only if you are immature. The feces of an animal can tell you alot about it's health, at least it does wiht my rodents, so I figured it would for my fish as well.

I find a fish can have various colours in it's feces based on it's diet. My pleco who mostly eats algae and greens always has the darker brown/army green colour. My severum who loves blood worms has a reder tone. It makes sense, no? The only colour i look out for its white, thin, stringy poo which means the fish isn't eating alot and there maybe a chance of a internal parasite.
I'm sorry to hear you lost your fish Peaches, I do wish you the best in recovery.

I do believe it has something to do with their eating habits, because the flakes I feed them are mostly pink... with a couple red and green ones in there... I guess I never really noticed. I think the Molly I lost had to of been sick before, because the others seem just fine. I will watch out for white, though, thanks for the warning ^^

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back