Healthy Eating - Metabolism Change

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Miss Wiggle

Practically perfect in every way
Reaction score
trying to change my eating habits, get a bit healthier, would like to loose some weight but this is secondary to being healthier.

it's slightly difficult as for long and complicated reasons we're currently living with my parents in law so I have little to no control over what food is kept in the house and what's for dinner.

so mostly i'm trying to reduce portion sizes, have more fruit and veg and the big change is I'm taking salad's to work for my lunch. Putting all sorts of things in them for variety but I figure pretty much whatever goes in there I am at least getting more fruit and veg than otherwise! Just generally trying to be more conscious of what I'm eating, not depriving myself all the time or I'll just end up bingeing but limiting my treats!

enough waffling as it seems to be working, for the last 4/5 weeks I've steadily lost about 2lb a week which I understand is a good healthy rate to loose weight at. I feel better too, have more energy, my skin is clearer, basically it's pretty much all good.

the first week or so I was fine and I wasn't really hungry at all then one day my body just seemed to wake up and say 'feed me!!!!!' my fella said I just have to fight through it and my body will get used to having less food and will adjust to it and it'll go away in time, been about 3 weeks now and I seem to be hungry all the time. how long should it take for my metabolism to adjust and get used to this? sick of feeling hungry and my resolve is wavering a bit, not good when we're living in a house where the cupboards are rammed full of crisps and chocolate!

You could always go shopping yourself and do your own cooking. Even if you only do the cooking a couple of times a week, you could make healthier meals for yourself or anyone who wants them.

If you have a salad for lunch you should have some protein with it. The protein will help keep you fuller for longer and you won't feel hungry as soon. Also eat wholemeal bread instead of white bread. Again it makes you feel fuller for longer.
One of my favourite lunches is chicken and salad on a wholemeal roll. Healthy and fills you up. But you have to keep the chicken cold otherwise you get sick. You can have ham and salad instead. Or even have a small tub of yoghurt with the salad.

If you eat fruit and veges, you can have huge servings and they won't add many if any calories. If you have a salad dressing then that will add lots of calories. Having a bigger salad will fill you up and make you feel fuller for longer.

The other thing you can do is have a glass of water with every meal. It will help fill you up and reduce the cravings. Also having a glass of water when you feel hungry can help get rid of the hunger pains for an hour or so. Hopefully long enough to get you through the rest of the day, or until the next tea break.

Guarana herb its an all natural appetite suppressant also has similar properites to caffeine but is less toxic. Might also want some siberian ginseng it improves your immune system and stimulates your body to endure difficult conditions which may be the "stress" as such of changing your diet.

If hungry for more then 30 mins to an hour eat a cereal bar, your body is telling you it needs more fuel in the long term its better for your diet to eat a little and subdue your hunger. Wrote this for another member but its a good basic diet to follow and stay healthy

5 small meals a day eat when hungry not through ritual
For the first couple of weeks use a side plate to control your portions
7 portions of fresh fruit and veg a day minimum
reduce red meat, whenever eating poultry get the thighs contains more protein and omega 3 also its normally cheaper then breasts. Better the quality the better the nutritional content and the lesser the fat.
don't eat processed foods cook as much as possible fresh
Breakfast should be predominantly fruit based for fructose smoothies are ideal
snack around 10-11 something sensible like a cereal bar
lunch consisting of salad and a lean meat such as chicken or seafood with a small amount of carbs e.g. wholemeal bread, wholemeal tortilla wrap no or very little salad dressing
snack around mid afternoon
dinner should consist of 2 parts meat, 3 parts veg, 1/2 part fat, 2 parts carb
after dinner if hungry eat fruit if that isn't enough then a cereal bar

You could always go shopping yourself and do your own cooking. Even if you only do the cooking a couple of times a week, you could make healthier meals for yourself or anyone who wants them.

yeah apart from the fridge is crammed full of blocks of cheese and cheap processed ham so there's no room to store things, i had to fight to get room for my salad stuff even! I'm generally not allowed to cook anything as we always get told off if things aren't cleaned the instant you've made them (like before you've even eaten your meal so you have to let it go cold while you tidy up...... :rolleyes: ) and it's taken as a personal insult if you don't want whatever's on offer from Ian's parents.

don't get me wrong i'm very grateful for a roof over our heads at a difficult time, but it's not exactly ideal! Hopefully it'll only be a month or so more before we move back home.

If you have a salad for lunch you should have some protein with it. The protein will help keep you fuller for longer and you won't feel hungry as soon. Also eat wholemeal bread instead of white bread. Again it makes you feel fuller for longer.
One of my favourite lunches is chicken and salad on a wholemeal roll. Healthy and fills you up. But you have to keep the chicken cold otherwise you get sick. You can have ham and salad instead. Or even have a small tub of yoghurt with the salad.

I do, normally got ham, egg, prawns, smoked salmon etc in with all the salad stuff.

I normally have two slices of granary/wholemeal toast for brekkie with peanut butter on, but Ian's parents always have white bread so I'm having to have that, don't even like it.

If you eat fruit and veges, you can have huge servings and they won't add many if any calories. If you have a salad dressing then that will add lots of calories. Having a bigger salad will fill you up and make you feel fuller for longer.

I generally don't have dressing, if I do it's homemade with olive oil which i appreciate is calorific however it's a 'good' fat apparently. Don't have creamy cesar dressings or mayo or anything along those lines.

The other thing you can do is have a glass of water with every meal. It will help fill you up and reduce the cravings. Also having a glass of water when you feel hungry can help get rid of the hunger pains for an hour or so. Hopefully long enough to get you through the rest of the day, or until the next tea break.

yeah i have to admit I'm rubbish at drinking water, will make a cosncious effort to have more.

Guarana herb its an all natural appetite suppressant also has similar properites to caffeine but is less toxic. Might also want some siberian ginseng it improves your immune system and stimulates your body to endure difficult conditions which may be the "stress" as such of changing your diet.

If hungry for more then 30 mins to an hour eat a cereal bar, your body is telling you it needs more fuel in the long term its better for your diet to eat a little and subdue your hunger. Wrote this for another member but its a good basic diet to follow and stay healthy

5 small meals a day eat when hungry not through ritual
For the first couple of weeks use a side plate to control your portions
7 portions of fresh fruit and veg a day minimum
reduce red meat, whenever eating poultry get the thighs contains more protein and omega 3 also its normally cheaper then breasts. Better the quality the better the nutritional content and the lesser the fat.
don't eat processed foods cook as much as possible fresh
Breakfast should be predominantly fruit based for fructose smoothies are ideal
snack around 10-11 something sensible like a cereal bar
lunch consisting of salad and a lean meat such as chicken or seafood with a small amount of carbs e.g. wholemeal bread, wholemeal tortilla wrap no or very little salad dressing
snack around mid afternoon
dinner should consist of 2 parts meat, 3 parts veg, 1/2 part fat, 2 parts carb
after dinner if hungry eat fruit if that isn't enough then a cereal bar

thanks that sounds like a good plan, will try to encorporate the bits that I can with the current situation!

So basically I shouldn't be forcing myself to go hungry to make my body learn to get by with less food. Another problem is I'm quite picky so there's only a couple of types of fruit that I actually like, and they're the expensive seasonal ones which doesn' help!!

I do know that my main two problems are portion sizes and takeaways, I love cooking and rarely have processed food at home, most of what I cook is relatively healthy but I tend to eat a lot of it. Also we've got into the habit of having a takeaway a couple of times a week as a treat which I know is too much and we're definately cutting back on that.

I normally got ham, egg, prawns, smoked salmon etc in with all the salad stuff.

I normally have two slices of granary/wholemeal toast for brekkie with peanut butter on, but Ian's parents always have white bread so I'm having to have that, don't even like it.

I have to admit I'm rubbish at drinking water, will make a conscious effort to have more.
LOL, that's why you can't afford to stay at your own place, spending too much on fancy meats (smoked salmon, prawn & ham) :)

You can keep bread on the shelf for a couple of days. Perhaps just buy a loaf of wholemeal bread and keep it on the fridge or bench. Then you can have that and they can have their white bread. Alternatively, sneak a loaf of wholemeal into the house and when no one is looking hide the white bread. Then say you ran out and wholemeal is all that was available at the shop. It would be better for all concerned if they ate wholemeal rather than white.

You don't have to drink water with the meals. It can be any sort of fluid but water, fruit juice or milk are the best options. Try to avoid fizzy drinks and caffeine or booze.

ha ha, actually it's not the recession that's forced us out of our house, it's some serious building work that's all gone pete tong!

:p

i figure if I'm going to have healthy stuff for lunch I'm having stuff I like, if I have things I don't like I know I won't stick to it. And what can I say.... I have expensive taste's!! ha ha

i'm not too bad with caffiene, i can't start the day without a cup of tea but I'm v caffiene sensitive so if I have more than 3 cups in a day I get super jittery and don't sleep at night, so I tend to just have the one or maybe 2 cups.

I always get confused on milk, cos it's got quite a lot of calories in and it's fatty isn't it? But is it 'good' fats like olive oil is?!

Milk has bad fat but it has so much other good stuff in, it's a shame to leave it out. It contains calcium, protein, and various vitamins. And if you are concerned about fat you can go for the low fat milk. Although it tastes like watered down normal milk. If you want low fat milk with good fat then you can drink soy milk but that has too much oestrogen in and might cause problems if used long term.
A few glasses of cows milk won't cause any real problems with weight gain. It's more cheese and butter that give you unwanted calories.

A cup or two of tea each day isn't a problem. In fact green tea, and several other types of tea have been found to help reduce the risk of cancer and several other health problems.
It's a bit like red wine. A glass or two per day is actually good for you due to the red stuff in it. However, if you get pickled every night then that is bad for you. Everything in moderation :)

Reiterate have some guarana instead of that cup of coffee ;) you can get it tea form. I am 18 and rarely have time for tea also at my age heavy drink is a near must and my liver, immune system and so I have it from pussy (the drink) which has a similar taste to lychee juice

http://www.pussydrinks.com/home.html

Eat more protein such as chicken or fish, you shouldnt be feeling hungry and if you are buy some oat cakes and snack on 2 of them when you are peckish. Sushi is good for you and very filling, you can buy packs in the supermarkets about £1 each I would rather have one of those instead of a boaring salad, make sure you eat often and little rather than eating 2 large meals a day, try and get your 5 a day e.g. having weetabix for breakfast with berrys or blueberrys(high in antioxidants). And remember healthy eating is just one half, the other half is exercising.

And remember healthy eating is just one half, the other half is exercising

yeah dont forget about that one. i personally have found in the past ive over committed with exercise and eventually i dont want to go to the gym. now ive started again and am trying at least 2 days a week (the recommendation is more but im busy enough).

as for food, i have the same problem at my house, meat and cheese and bread dominate. Its difficult when you open the fridge and the first thing you see is what you shouldent be eating all the time. Our fridge is set up badly! all the veg is down the bottom, meat and cheese right infront of your face. this is more for the capabilities of how well the food will keep and so you dont get the meat smell all through everything else, but it really makes it hard to make the right choice for your body.

personally after working in a bakery i dont think i could ever eat white bread, just doesnt do the same for filling you up.

ah yeah, as for something to spread on toast go the avocado. if you cant get avocados or are too expensive im also using an olive oil spread which has no cholesterol. oh yeah and homus on bread rocks ;)

my 2 c

-Moe

I think he is reffering to hummus and should be served with a sprinkling of paprika try making it and adding one or more fo these; chili peppers, pepadew peppers, caramlised red onions, coriander and apricots.

ewwwwww sorry buy hummus is nasty! tried it several times, all different varieties, couldn't bring myself to eat it!

Good news is building work on our house starts next week so hopefully we'll be back home within a month and then I can have some control over my meals again!

not gonna have flaming mash and gravy for about 6 months!!

even my other half who'se a builder and describes himself as a carnivore :rolleyes: is sick of big stodgy meals and is begiing for a nice stir fry!! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back