Health Issues

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

goin_all_out

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
my Betta has developed a white spot on his right side and is seems to favor that side. it almost looks like a couple damaged scales but i don't think it is. other then this spot and the very slight lean to that side, nothing else is out of sorts. no loss in appetite, and still the hyper-active little dude i picked up more then two years ago. i had a little bottle of Betta fix but that was expired by a couple years. is there anything i can do?

Sounds like an external fungal or bacteria infection... although from your description i am not entirely sure what it is.

Regardless, you need to be treating with a full spectrum medication. Your best bet is to use Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 in conjunction. This will wipe out most diseases as it is an antibiotic and anti-fungal med. Also, perform a large water change and add a bit of aquarium salt (in the proper dosage for your tank) if you have it. The sooner you start treating the better.

I'm not positive if you can get Maracyn in Canada though.... perhaps someone else can inform you on this. There might be alternatives in Canada, but I am not familiar with many meds outside of the US.

Is this betta in the 2.5g in your sig? Is the tank filtered and heated?

if the betta is healthy I shouldnt worry. 2 years is a good age to have a betta you dont know how old he was when you bought him. Good luck :good:

well the longest we have ever had a betta was probably 4 years. it was the first thing i ever bought my girlfriend. twas a sad day when he left us.

as for the meds im not sure if they are available, but i may be able to get out and take a look at the local big als. also i'm in the process of doing lots of heavy water changes due to a little BGA out break in his tank. so i will get on that today.due to my lack of funds however, seeing as i am a starving college student right now, i may have to let nature take its course. i will keep this thread updated if there are any changes.

if the betta is healthy I shouldnt worry. 2 years is a good age to have a betta you dont know how old he was when you bought him. Good luck :good:
I'm sorry, but I disagree entirely with this. The betta is obviously not healthy and this is certainly a form of disease...... now lethargy and not eating would be a different story, but a white spot on the side is a curable thing.

well the longest we have ever had a betta was probably 4 years. it was the first thing i ever bought my girlfriend. twas a sad day when he left us.

as for the meds im not sure if they are available, but i may be able to get out and take a look at the local big als. also i'm in the process of doing lots of heavy water changes due to a little BGA out break in his tank. so i will get on that today.due to my lack of funds however, seeing as i am a starving college student right now, i may have to let nature take its course. i will keep this thread updated if there are any changes.
Sounds like you are a good betta keeper then. Petsmart and Petco usually sell the full spectrum meds if you have those where you live.

I feel you on being a starving college student... Especially a starving college student with a fish addiction :lol:. Maracyn is certainly not cheap. It is worth it to not have your guy suffer from a treatable disease though, and is always good to have around to treat other fish should something happen.

I don't know, of course, but perhaps the problem may be not having ANY money at a specific time - been there and too often doing that.
And there'd be nothing more agonizing than having a pet really, really need something you can't get until the end of say, next week...
Things are different now than then they were, for an increasing many, what with the 'new prosperity' and all.

well folks just thought i would update you all on george's "condition". the "white spot" is all but gone now and through out this whole thing it never phased him once in apetite or fistyness. seems to be faring just fine and is no worse for wares. i'm sure he has many more happy days ahead of him.

well folks just thought i would update you all on george's "condition". the "white spot" is all but gone now and through out this whole thing it never phased him once in apetite or fistyness. seems to be faring just fine and is no worse for wares. i'm sure he has many more happy days ahead of him.
AWESOME!!!! Thx for actually coming back and posting the news. Most of the time everyone gets to hear the sob stories and not the recovery stories.

Did you treat him or did he recover from it on his own?

Couldn't be more happy for you :D

no meds used, just all natural recovery. i litteraly had zero dollars in my account so there was no chance. but on that side of things, i now work in the fish room at my local Big Al's! lol so i have money coming in and i get discounts!

i have a feeling he will be around for a long time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back